The Student Room Group

Does anyone have any advice ( jobs and feeing tubes)

So basically. I have a problem where my stomach/intestines don't work properly. I have a tube that goes into my nose down to my intestines. I have a backpack with a pump in it that feeds me slowly for 24 hours a day. I would like to get a job as a care assistant at my local nursing home. They looked at my application and said that they are looking for someone like me. And they will call me as soon as I'm 18. So I'm confident I'll get the job

The issue is . I don't know how I can do this logistically. Can I carry the backpack around with me?

any advice would be awesome!
Original post by jaffacakehero
So basically. I have a problem where my stomach/intestines don't work properly. I have a tube that goes into my nose down to my intestines. I have a backpack with a pump in it that feeds me slowly for 24 hours a day. I would like to get a job as a care assistant at my local nursing home. They looked at my application and said that they are looking for someone like me. And they will call me as soon as I'm 18. So I'm confident I'll get the job

The issue is . I don't know how I can do this logistically. Can I carry the backpack around with me?

The main issue is that some people in nursing homes have disabilities that mean they can try to grab things or become aggressive. So if you're working with people with dementia, for example, they might try to pull the feeding tube out. I've had my glasses pulled off and thrown across the room before. So you need to be aware of this, and check with the manager if it's something the service users there are known for.
You might also be asked repetitive questions about what it is, so be prepared how much you're willing to share.

You should be able to carry the backpack around with you. You will be on your feet a lot of the time and you'll need to be able to bend over/kneel down/move your arms fully etc. You might want to try doing these things now so you can see how you'll cope with the backpack, and if you need to make any adjustments to how you do things. I have arthritis and I'll kneel but won't squat down, but it achieves the same thing so I can still look after patients. You might find similar things, or you might find that something like a chest strap makes you feel more secure.
Thanks.This is really helpful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jaffacakehero

When will you be 18?

Was there a section on the application form which allowed you to explain about the feeding tube?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending