HM Treasury Grad Scheme vs Generalist Fast Stream

Watch
sixsevennineten
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm in the massively fortunate position to have received job offers for both the civil service generalist scheme and the treasury policy advisor grad scheme. I can't decide which scheme is better and I was wondering which scheme other people think is the more attractive option?
Inister
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Just a few things to consider:

Generalist is more management focussed, Treasury is more policy focussed.
Generalist is multiple departments so the work might be more diverse, whereas the Treasury is just one department.
On generalist, you might get departments you really like, you might get departments you don't like, so depending on how much you like the treasury, generalist might be riskier in terms of work enjoyment
The salary on generalist will be lower after 1.5 years service by around £3K, but after 3 years (assuming successful completion of the scheme and subsequent promotion) generalist would be higher by up to £10K. of course, that assumes the policy adviser in this scenario stays in the role, and doesn't apply for a higher ranking job
Generalist may offer a better grounding if you want to spend your career in the public sector, as it involves more departments, roles, and people
That said, the treasury might be better if you want to move to private sector companies in banking or finance later in your career.
More graduate peers on generalist, though still a decent number in the treasury too.
Last edited by Inister; 8 months ago
sixsevennineten
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Inister)
Just a few things to consider:

Generalist is more management focussed, Treasury is more policy focussed.
Generalist is multiple departments so the work might be more diverse, whereas the Treasury is just one department.
On generalist, you might get departments you really like, you might get departments you don't like, so depending on how much you like the treasury, generalist might be riskier in terms of work enjoyment
More work diversity on generalist.
The salary on generalist will be lower after 1.5 years service by around £3K, but after 3 years (assuming successful completion of the scheme and subsequent promotion) generalist would be higher by up to £10K. of course, that assumes the policy adviser in this scenario stays in the role, and doesn't apply for a higher ranking job
Generalist may offer a better grounding if you want to spend your career in the public sector, as it involves more departments, roles, and people
That said, the treasury might be better if you want to move to private sector companies in banking or finance later in your career.
More graduate peers on generalist, though still a decent number in the treasury too.
Hmm thank you Inister. Some interesting food for thought.

I think the diversity of the generalist scheme appeals to me but like you say there is more risk that you might end up in departments you really don't like.

I'll have to give more thought to whether the work that the treasury does really appeals to me.
Jim17Newton17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
From what I've read, your salary on the generalist scheme would be much higher upon completion of the scheme, which is something to think about! I would be inclined to chose it over Treasury based on that alone, plus you'll be exposed to a greater range of departments/projects so it will be easier to change jobs depending on what interests you, as you'll have experience in many areas! So, even if you end up in a department you're not so keen on you'll have more opportunity to switch than in the Treasury role.

However, if you're super interested in economic policy and want to do that for a career, then the Treasury would be a good choice!
Jim17Newton17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I might be biased though bc I wish I'd got an offer for the Generalist scheme! ahaha
Thomx1999
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by sixsevennineten)
I'm in the massively fortunate position to have received job offers for both the civil service generalist scheme and the treasury policy advisor grad scheme. I can't decide which scheme is better and I was wondering which scheme other people think is the more attractive option?
Hey! I think I replied to you on the main Treasury thread, but I'm in a similar position. I now have an offer for the civil service generalist scheme, and I'm on hold for the treasury. I'm waiting to hear back from the Treasury before I make a final decision as I want to have all the facts (as I might be rejected and then the decision will be made for me), but I think I'm going to choose the Civil Service. The main thing for me is that I can't see myself being that interested in the day to day stuff at the Treasury, I'd like more variety in my work and I think ultimately as I don't know what I'd like to do with the rest of my life the Civil Service will give me more options.
VanessaCl_12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You'd be silly not to chose the generalist fast stream imo
Noammi
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
How did you achieve the job offer? Genuinely asking as I also want to apply
FilomenaCrolla
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I was looking to apply for the policy advisor grad scheme in the 2022 uptake. Would you be up for sharing some information about the application process and answering some questions? If so can you please send me a personal message! Thanks!!
njjen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hiya, I'm also looking to apply to the same scheme - have you found any forums or information on here? Been looking for a forum but am yet to find one!!Ta!! ))
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (162)
83.51%
No (32)
16.49%

Watched Threads