glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Why solve real issues, when you can just construct your own?
Spoiler:
Show

'The words we use have the power to create a more inclusive world or to perpetuate oppression, so PETA is asking everyone to think before they speak—or type. Respected resources like Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.com, The American Heritage Dictionary, Collins English Dictionary, Oxford English Dictionary, and WordReference.com are in a prime position to help move us closer to a more respectful, empathetic world, with a more compassionate view of other species. This is why we’re urging such resources to remove harmful definitions, like Merriam-Webster’s pig (“a dirty, gluttonous, or repulsive person”), snake (“a worthless or treacherous fellow”), and dog (“a worthless or contemptible person”), pointing out that lending credence to such inaccurate descriptions fuels speciesism, a human-supremacist attitude that slights, insults, and denigrates other animals.

When we tweeted about removing speciesist slurs from our vocabulary, the Internet went berserk. Our tweet about standing up for justice by rejecting supremacist language …

… quickly became a top trending topic on Twitter, and it’s no wonder why: Anti-speciesism is having its moment. More and more people understand that bullying and violence aren’t limited to humans any more than they’re limited to certain races or one gender identity. People are realizing just how much words matter, and while dictionaries are in a unique position to combat speciesism, everyone can reject mischaracterizations of animals and reflect upon their talents, communication abilities, social skills, and more. In her letter to Merriam-Webster, PETA President Ingrid Newkirk points out the following:

Calling humans various animal names is meant to sting, yet pigs, for instance, are intelligent, lead complex social lives, and show empathy for other pigs in distress. They have rescued drowning humans and alerted their guardians to fires. Snakes are clever, have family relationships, and prefer to associate with their relatives rather than with strangers. If taken many miles away, they can find their way back home even if it takes two years. Dogs have personalities as varied and distinct as those of the humans who care for them. A dog living in a human home has been shown to understand, on average, some 400 words of human language simply from paying close attention.

The least we can do is ensure that our language never normalizes violence against animals. Saying, “as loyal as a goose,” “as protective as a pigeon,” “as flexible as an octopus,” and “as clever as a mouse,” would be apt and accurate. Using “as playful as a pig” makes sense—using “pig” to describe “a dirty, gluttonous, or repulsive person” does not. (Looking at you, Merriam-Webster.)

Language should progress, just as our ever-evolving culture does.
We certainly hope that these dictionaries take our request to remove these harmful definitions seriously, thereby encouraging people to recognize that attributing ill character to thinking, feeling animals who experience joy, suffering, love, and grief, just as humans do, is unacceptable. But don’t wait for someone else to do the right thing—discover how you can join PETA and countless others in dismantling speciesism today, and encourage your friends and family to do the same.'

Name:  Screenshot_20210202_142354_com.twitter.android.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  150.1 KB
Last edited by glassalice; 4 weeks ago
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
PETA are ****ing insane. This is the organisation that will steal your dog and kill it or complain about animal exploitation in Animal Crossing.

It is best not to listen to lunatics.
glassalice
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
PETA are ****ing insane. This is the organisation that will steal your dog and kill it or complain about animal exploitation in Animal Crossing.

Oh I thought it was funny- I can't even read it with a straight face.

Marxism meets animal rights is a real **** show.
caravaggio2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by f*ckyouignorant)
Go f uck yourself you horrible pathetic scumbag.

You cry about dogs dying but couldn't give a f uck about billions f pigs cows chicken sheep etc being tortured and killed each year?

What a pathetic hypocritical waste of human s hit scum like you really are.

The only 'lunatics' here are people like you.
I was going to attack PETA but your intellectual powers of persuasion have won me over.
f*ckyouignorant
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
I was going to attack PETA but your intellectual powers of persuasion have won me over.
People are hypocritical scum and piss me off so much.I wonder how many of the people who like to continue preaching about stuff like BLM criticise vegans for preaching about the cruelty humans commit towards billions of animals each year.

Nothing but horrible self entitled ignorant hypocritical scumbags. There are no words to express how much I hate people. They are utter scum.
64Lightbulbs
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Peta faked studies to prove that drinking milk causes autism, i don't know why they're considered anything but reactionary anymore.

Spoiler:
Show
They also released a comic about how your father is a murderer for going fishing
and they had a whole thing about killing pit bulls

and marxism is a criticism of capitalism, so i don't know how that relates to a reactionary 'animal rights' group.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Oh I thought it was funny- I can't even read it with a straight face.

Marxism meets animal rights is a real **** show.
Thats unfair on marxists. At least theyre not quite so insane as to think a rabbit is equivalent to a person, to be honest, theyre probably populated by a bunch of bestiality lovers as well thanks to the shocking extremism in their ranks :lol:
Truly weird article though.
glassalice
Rep:
?
(Original post by 64Lightbulbs)
Peta faked studies to prove that drinking milk causes autism, i don't know why they're considered anything but reactionary anymore.

Spoiler:
Show
They also released a comic about how your father is a murderer for going fishing
and they had a whole thing about killing pit bulls

and marxism is a criticism of capitalism, so i don't know how that relates to a reactionary 'animal rights' group.
PETA essentially view animals as being members of the oppressed class (ie. The Prolaterait). Marxism is far more than just a criticism of capitalism.

How does your understanding differ?
Last edited by glassalice; 4 weeks ago
properargument
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Thats unfair on marxists. At least theyre not quite so insane as to think a rabbit is equivalent to a person, to be honest, theyre probably populated by a bunch of bestiality lovers as well thanks to the shocking extremism in their ranks :lol:
Truly weird article though.
So tell me Mr know it all - How is it insane to believe animal suffering is as bad as human suffering?

A few hundred years ago society would have killed you insane for comparing blacks to whites. If you were alive a few hundred years ago you would be one racists individual. People like you can't think for themselves.
64Lightbulbs
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by glassalice)
PETA essentially view animals as being members of the oppressed class (ie. The Prolaterait). Marxism is far more than just a criticism of capitalism.

How does your understanding differ?
yeah that was a purposeful oversimplification, but marxism doesn't view animals as part of an oppressed class so i didn't see how they were related.
glassalice
Rep:
?
(Original post by 64Lightbulbs)
yeah that was a purposeful oversimplification, but marxism doesn't view animals as part of an oppressed class so i didn't see how they were related.
Animal rights are being viewed though a Marxist perspective.
But yes, you are correct- traditionally marxism doesn't consider animals to be a member of the oppressed class.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by properargument)
So tell me Mr know it all - How is it insane to believe animal suffering is as bad as human suffering?

A few hundred years ago society would have killed you insane for comparing blacks to whites. If you were alive a few hundred years ago you would be one racists individual. People like you can't think for themselves.
Sorry was there a point to this inane little senseless ramble or?
jackmarshal757
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)

Most federally funded things like this are, they aren’t government departments but still receive federal funding so they can be as stupid as they like, same with planned parenthood
DR.DOOM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just make kosher and halal food, the animal doesn't suffer and is blessed when it is killed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.52%
Virtual campus tours/open days (98)
22.84%
Live streaming events (39)
9.09%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (40)
9.32%
A uni comparison tool (98)
22.84%
An in-person event when available (96)
22.38%