zarahh09
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Explain how the properties of the cell membrane enables mass transport.

I put:
- proteins in membrane
- Proteins embedded in cells lipid bilayer
- during mass transport larger substances of small molecules are transported through the cell membrane
CJField
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Different types of proteins:
1. Carrier proteins which can be involved in the facilitated diffusion of ions, glucose, amino acids etc
2. Carrier proteins which can be involved in the active transport of molecules e.g. glucose in small intestine
3. Channel proteins which are hydrophilic so are permeable to water soluble ions - so control water movement as well
4. Co-transport proteins which are involved in transport of glucose + amino acids in the ileum and PCT

Also, mass transport may include transport of lipid soluble substances, in which case the lipid bilayer is useful as it allows simple diffusion of these substances.
Also some membranes may have microvilli for increased absorption

Note, in the AQA textbook, mass transport refers to transport of blood plasma and oxygen. My suggestions are referring more to exchange of substances. If you are looking for an answer more related to circulatory system mass transport, maybe look towards alveoli and endothelium
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads