The Student Room Group

as level biology question- Help MCQ

4) Plants produce a variety of chemical in response to pathogens
Which of the following, A to D, is produced by plants in response to pathogens?
a) Antibacterial compounds
b) Antibodies
c) Opsonins
d) Penicillin

Bit confused on this
Original post by Akanya31x
4) Plants produce a variety of chemical in response to pathogens
Which of the following, A to D, is produced by plants in response to pathogens?
a) Antibacterial compounds
b) Antibodies
c) Opsonins
d) Penicillin

Bit confused on this

The answer is A.
Plants do produce some fairly non-specific antibacterial compounds

B. Antibodies are produced by lymphocytes (white blood cells). Only higher animals have immune systems capable of doing this (all vertebrates I am pretty sure). Antibodies are part of the adaptive immune response i.e. you produce them better having being exposed to the pathogenic organism previously.

C. Opsonins are proteins produced by the immune system of higher animals (all vertebrates). They help kill microorganisms. They include antibodies (part of adaptive response) but also other proteins like complement that are not part of the adaptive respose but part of the innate response. I.e. You don't "learn" to make them, you make them without having been exposed previously. Mostly they coat microorganisms making it easier for phagocytes to engulf them.

D. Penicillin is an antibiotic compound. These are made by fungi, not made by plants or animals
Original post by Davies Chemistry
The answer is A.

B. Antibodies are produced by lymphocytes (white blood cells). Only higher animals have immune systems capable of doing this (all vertebrates I am pretty sure). Antibodies are part of the adaptive immune response i.e. you produce them better having being exposed to the pathogenic organism previously.

C. Opsonins are proteins produced by the immune system of higher animals (all vertebrates). They help kill microorganisms. They include antibodies (part of adaptive response) but also other proteins like complement that are not part of the adaptive respose but part of the innate response. I.e. You don't "learn" to make them, you make them without having been exposed previously. Mostly they coat microorganisms making it easier for phagocytes to engulf them.

D. Penicillin is an antibiotic compound. These are made by fungi, not made by plants or animals

Thank you so much for replying i did a bunch of multiple choice questions but no marksheme was attached to it nor can i find it anywhere. I will link the questions below, if it's okay with you please can you check them and if wrong correct me. It would mean alot for my MC exam on thursday :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
The answer is A.

i am attaching the questions individually
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Akanya31x
i am attaching the questions individually

here are the first three, more to follow, see attachments

sorry, can't give you any more answers in case this is a password protected/embargoed paper that there is no mark sheme available for. If you can show me that it is not, I will gladly help you with the other questions. Sorry.
sorry, can't give you any more answers in case this is a password protected/embargoed paper that there is no mark sheme available for. If you can show me that it is not, I will gladly help you with the other questions. Sorry.

oh i see, okay. i am not sure about the mark-scheme because our teacher gave them to us to do as revision and said she would attach the mark-scheme but never did and my test is tomorrow lunchtime. She still hasn't replied to my email when i asked her to send it to me.

Also for Question no 7 on the image you sent me which has the transport in plants question and which one correct, looking at that question again. I am a bit confused about statement 1 and 3. Because with statment there are suppose to be adhesive forces between the water molecule and the vessel wall not just the water molecules because that is cohesive, so i don't think statment 3 is right. Statement 1, does transpiration not occur without gas exchange as you can still draw water up the vessels without having to lose oxygen or take up carbon dioxide, so ultimately isn't the answer b? if you had to chose one.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending