Okayn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I want to do Further Maths for A-Levels next year but the entry requirement for it is quite high for example, NCS and LAE (2 colleges/sixth forms around me). LAE requires a grade 9 to do Further Maths and NCS requires a grade 8-9. My predicted grade is an 8. I know the requirement is a 9 for LAE but would they let me do it with an 8. To be honest, if I work hard enough I can maybe just scrape a 9 but I just wanna know if it is possible with a grade under. Thank you for any replies.
Incede
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Okayn)
So I want to do Further Maths for A-Levels next year but the entry requirement for it is quite high for example, NCS and LAE (2 colleges/sixth forms around me). LAE requires a grade 9 to do Further Maths and NCS requires a grade 8-9. My predicted grade is an 8. I know the requirement is a 9 for LAE but would they let me do it with an 8. To be honest, if I work hard enough I can maybe just scrape a 9 but I just wanna know if it is possible with a grade under. Thank you for any replies.
If they require a 9 then they probably won't let you. Email them and ask them.

If you are struggling to get a grade 9 are you sure you want to do further maths? It's best if you ease past GCSE maths with a 9 if you want to take further maths as it is considerably harder.

Try and work really hard to get that 9 (loads of practice questions) and improve your maths skills in general that way you won't have to worry about meeting the requirements and you will have a good foundation for further maths.
Okayn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Depending on the new grade boundaries I think if I work a little harder I can get a 9. I'm about 91% sure I want to do Further Maths because it has been probably my favourite subject at GCSE and I like problem-solving a lot. A lot of people have pointed out that GCSE Maths is a hard subject so I'm not underestimating it. However, I have heard that most sixth forms/colleges allow you to drop a subject in the second year. So, if it does get too overwhelming, do you think they would let me drop A-Level Further Maths and just leave me with A-Level Maths? I think studying A-Level Further Maths involves studying normal A-Level Maths as well because, in the end, you get a grade for Further Maths and normal Maths.
ThatKid777
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Okayn)
Depending on the new grade boundaries I think if I work a little harder I can get a 9. I'm about 91% sure I want to do Further Maths because it has been probably my favourite subject at GCSE and I like problem-solving a lot. A lot of people have pointed out that GCSE Maths is a hard subject so I'm not underestimating it. However, I have heard that most sixth forms/colleges allow you to drop a subject in the second year. So, if it does get too overwhelming, do you think they would let me drop A-Level Further Maths and just leave me with A-Level Maths? I think studying A-Level Further Maths involves studying normal A-Level Maths as well because, in the end, you get a grade for Further Maths and normal Maths.
If you have a passion for maths and you like maths I suggest you could do do further maths although it is hard and colleges are expecting the top grades. I would suggest looking at the specifications for A level further maths so you can see what type of content there is to cover.
ZR2002
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Okayn)
Hi, I take further maths at LAE and last year you only needed an eight or above to do further maths so i have a few friends who got eights and do fm. The ones that put in the effort and enjoy it do really well, some are at the top of the class as well so I think taking it shouldn't be a problem. Because a 9 is the new minimum requirement I'm not sure if they would allow it but definitely apply because if you don't get in but do get a nine then you can go to the school to appeal on results day and you should get a place.
GTT21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Okayn)
the new grade requirements only apply on enrolment day (I emailed them), if you were able to choose Further maths when doing your applications, it is possible to do further maths but you need a 9 on results day
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
shouldn't be an issue imo...8s/9s are basically the same
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.94%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.27%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.95%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.57%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (89)
11.01%
Financial worries (54)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.31%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.09%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.53%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.92%

Watched Threads