The Student Room Group

recurrent infections & a yeast infection — should I be concerned?

in september i had a UTI infection with strong symptoms and ended up taking antibiotics to clear the infection. at the same time, i contracted a case of several HPV plantar warts on both my feet, despite the fact that my bare skin was not exposed to any unsanitary or public surfaces prior to infection. i’ve also been dealing with severe acne and hyperpigmentation (i am Black) and am currently on antibiotics for it.

my mental health has been non-existent since september. i’ve been suspecting that i have bipolar II, which has been causing me a lot of distress. i’ve been plagued by dissociation and anxiety. i am currently in year 12, abroad, and the school stress, along with my dissociation and hypomania, has meant that i have been barely holding onto my sanity.

i also lost several family members, which led to me grieving while sitting school exams and thus making my dissociation worse. as a result of my inability to focus in school (which has been online since september), my anxiety has become crippling and i have been trapped in a cycle of fearing failure but being unable to get myself into the headspace to study. i’ve been unable to do simple tasks like homework.

since being on antibiotics for acne, i’ve contracted a vaginal yeast infection, accompanied by a severe rash with cracks and peeling skin. i’m afraid to approach my parents since i’ve been on a constant cycle of infections and medication since the beginning of the school year i’ve now had a bacterial, viral, and fungal infection in a short period of time.

could my current mental state and my constant infections be linked? should i be worried? and is it possible for me to allow the yeast infection to pass on its own? i really don’t want to have to go on a new set of medication.
I'm very sorry you are having such a tough time with stress and your mental health right now. Are you getting any support with it at all?

The yeast infections are likely linked to you taking antibiotics. If it's very minor, it might go on it's own but usually you would need treatment. If you are over 16, you can buy thrush treatment over the counter (any pharmacy including places like Boots sell it).
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
I'm very sorry you are having such a tough time with stress and your mental health right now. Are you getting any support with it at all?

The yeast infections are likely linked to you taking antibiotics. If it's very minor, it might go on it's own but usually you would need treatment. If you are over 16, you can buy thrush treatment over the counter (any pharmacy including places like Boots sell it).

the yeast infection has been going on for over two weeks, not sure if that’s normal :/

no, i’m not receiving any help unfortunately. i’m pretty much stuck.

i don’t really have access to a pharmacy that i can go to on my own, so i would have to let my parents know.

thank you for you answer, it’s much appreciated 💕
Original post by Anonymous
the yeast infection has been going on for over two weeks, not sure if that’s normal :/

no, i’m not receiving any help unfortunately. i’m pretty much stuck.

i don’t really have access to a pharmacy that i can go to on my own, so i would have to let my parents know.

thank you for you answer, it’s much appreciated 💕

It sounds like you need some treatment. You can order treatment from online pharmacies as well but it's probably best if you just let your parents know.

Could you maybe speak to Childline fora bit of support? It sounds like you have a lot going on and it can't be easy dealing with it all on your own :hugs:
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
It sounds like you need some treatment. You can order treatment from online pharmacies as well but it's probably best if you just let your parents know.

Could you maybe speak to Childline fora bit of support? It sounds like you have a lot going on and it can't be easy dealing with it all on your own :hugs:

i’ll have to work up the courage to approach them then.

i’ve vented online and it does help, thank you so much for your advice :hugs: :heart:
Hey I've just seen this ... I used to get them all the time!!! Due to being type 1 diabetic. I think one way you can try and prevent this from happening is to lower your sugar intake... It's very normal for woman to experience these things so don't worry about it also it might be useful to wear some cotton underwear to allow the area to breathe and let your pH balance return to normal. Also when getting treatment get Cansesten duo over the counter at the pharmacy... DO NOT get the pesery as that's known to make it worse... get the one with the tablet you can take to flush out the infection. Hope that helps! Feel better soon 😊

Quick Reply

Latest