The Student Room Group

first job for university student

i'm a first year uni student and am constantly feeling anxious and stressed about getting a job and internships/ work experience. i've never had a proper job and i feel like it is impossible to get a good job without having any experience on your CV, but how do you get experience to put on your CV if you can't get a job due to having lack of experience? i also feel like i won't be able to balance a part time job with uni work and having a social life so i dont really know what to do. i dont want to graduate and then have to find a graduate job without having any work experience on my CV but idk how to go about getting work experience whilst at uni.
Original post by Anonymous
i'm a first year uni student and am constantly feeling anxious and stressed about getting a job and internships/ work experience. i've never had a proper job and i feel like it is impossible to get a good job without having any experience on your CV, but how do you get experience to put on your CV if you can't get a job due to having lack of experience? i also feel like i won't be able to balance a part time job with uni work and having a social life so i dont really know what to do. i dont want to graduate and then have to find a graduate job without having any work experience on my CV but idk how to go about getting work experience whilst at uni.

Sorry I don’t have any advice 😬 I just wanted to let you know that I am in exactly the same boat xx

Best thing to do is start with some volunteering work. Then, maybe do a placement year. Then you should have lots of work experience. ☺️
Hi @Anonymous
I totally understand your worries about getting work experience at university ! From my experience I suggest seeing if your university has a job site ! Here at Lancaster I have found temporary roles through the university job website which lists jobs on and off campus, internships , graduate roles etc. I have found some of these really suitable to fit around my studies and social life eg my student ambassador role so maybe see if your university has a job website ! In terms of fitting a job in many students I know tend to use the holidays eg summer or Christmas to find jobs and experience because uni students may have long breaks so work wouldn’t interfere with studies then ! Also look on your course if their are any work experience modules because if there are these could boost your experience !
Good look finding work and experience !
Lancaster university student ambassador Holly

Hiya!

It can be really stressful trying to find a job, but a you will find one that suits you :smile:

I've had a job throughout my three years at uni doing anywhere from 4-16 hours a week and managed to balance my life style. You have to find what works best for you and stay organised so that your prioritise your uni work/ revision, but also manage to have time to relax and chill out.

I looked on Indeed for jobs as well as shopping centres own career pages. You can set up alerts on Indeed to send you an email when a new job is posted, and I found this so helpful! It's difficult at the moment due to covid as a lot of student jobs involve retail/ catering. However, this doesn't mean you can't set up an alert to notify you as places may be hiring for when shops/ cafes/ pubs open.

I have worked the past year working as a Student Ambassador, which I have loved so much! Its very well paid and flexible around my uni work. I found the job on my university careers page. This is a really useful source to find a job internally in the University, but also an external job in the local area, as I found jobs posted on my careers page that weren't on Indeed.

Sam- Official Student rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending