mercedes for first car?

Watch
unknowgal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
okay so its my birthday soon and for my 17th i would like a car, ive been looking at different cars and my parents are willing to buy me my ideal car which is a mercedes a class, and yes i know it’s expensive! Have any of you got a mercedes a class or are learning to drive? what are your opinions on this?
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not a suitable car for someone who is only just learning to drive.

There are other cars which are much more apt.

The insurance would be astronomical as well.
sy!¡
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
good luck paying for the insurance.
unknowgal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
It's not a suitable car for someone who is only just learning to drive.

There are other cars which are much more apt.

The insurance would be astronomical as well.
yes i agree there are more suitable ones, but when you are offered one and its literally your dream its hard to say no lol

(Original post by sy!¡)
good luck paying for the insurance.
this might sound a but bratty or spoilt, but its not me paying for it, its my parents, and ofc i would be grateful as i understand how expensive it is
npic9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mercedes A class for a first car will be expensive for maintenance, insurance and the petrol needed will be pricey too. If you can afford it then go for it.

However for a first time buyer with your budget, I’d recommend the Volkswagen polo or corsa as it’s great on fuel.
V℮rsions
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bet you can't wait to see how much the insurance costs :teeth:
sy!¡
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by unknowgal)
yes i agree there are more suitable ones, but when you are offered one and its literally your dream its hard to say no lol

this might sound a but bratty or spoilt, but its not me paying for it, its my parents, and ofc i would be grateful as i understand how expensive it is
that’s nice of your parents, i was looking at insurance for my ford focus 1998 and it was £1.4k....so i don’t even want to think about how much yours would be loool
unknowgal
Rep:
?
(Original post by npic9)
Mercedes A class for a first car will be expensive for maintenance, insurance and the petrol needed will be pricey too. If you can afford it then go for it.

However for a first time buyer with your budget, I’d recommend the Volkswagen polo or corsa as it’s great on fuel.
Thank you, yes so many of my friends have these and i do really like them. It’s hard to make a decision and i havent been to view any cars yet because of the restrictions so will probably wait to see which i feel most comfortable in
unknowgal
Rep:
?
(Original post by sy!¡)
that’s nice of your parents, i was looking at insurance for my ford focus 1998 and it was £1.4k....so i don’t even want to think about how much yours would be loool
hahah yes i know, obviously there are cheaper ways of bringing down the price of insurance however its not really ever going to be cheap with a mercedes is it hahah
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you going to learn to drive in this car?
unknowgal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
Are you going to learn to drive in this car?
not sure yet, do you think its better to learn to drive in the car you’re getting or not?
unknowgal
Rep:
?
(Original post by V℮rsions)
Bet you can't wait to see how much the insurance costs :teeth:
i know😬someone in my family has one and shes just turned 17 and i think it was something like £3k. Im thinking as i will have a little job as im still in 6th form and be earning some money as well by helping my parents out in their buisness that i could pay for the insurance myself
sy!¡
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hahah yes i know, obviously there are cheaper ways of bringing down the price of insurance however its not really ever going to be cheap with a mercedes is it hahah
yeah you could get a black box fitted which would lower the insurance
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
:facepalm:
unknowgal
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
:facepalm:
🤷🏼*♀️
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Worst possible first car imaginable.
unknowgal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
why? so many people i know have one and are so happy they got one. But im not sure its different for everyone i suppose
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
Perhaps a Fiat 500 would be more fitting
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

yep - I am afraid it does sound bratty. That is a very cavalier attitude to spending your parents' money.
There are plenty of more appropriate cars for a learner/new driver - like the VW Polo named above.
unknowgal
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
Perhaps a Fiat 500 would be more fitting
yes these are nice, but so common now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%