The Student Room Group

mercedes for first car?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
Perhaps a Fiat 500 would be more fitting

I've been in the back of one zipping around country lanes and it was terrifying. Felt like I was a passenger in Mario Kart.
Reply 21
Original post by ReadingMum
yep - I am afraid it does sound bratty. That is a very cavalier attitude to spending your parents' money.
There are plenty of more appropriate cars for a learner/new driver - like the VW Polo named above.

I’m really not bratty and i didnt want to come across like that but don’t know how else to say it. My parents made the suggestion themselves and are happy enough to, although i get other cars are more suitable on things like the insurance and the price to repair.
I'd strongly suggest getting a different car for your first car for a number of reasons:

1. you might crash it
2. insurance is super expensive, let alone on a brand new mercedes
3. it would be way more fulfilling for you to use an old, small car for your first one and then save up and buy your own mercedes - imagine how proud you'd feel!

Just some things to think about :yep:
I've had my yaris (first car) for 3 months now, and so far I've reversed into two poles and hit a bin (tried doing a u turn without reversing 😂😂😂). Cos it's a cheap car I don't really care, if I had a mercedes it would be a different story. And my bumper is still attached
Original post by parmezanne

3. it would be way more fulfilling for you to use an old, small car for your first one and then save up and buy your own mercedes - imagine how proud you'd feel!

Agree, like many I had the obligatory rusty Corsa as my 1st. But it's led to me appreciating the luxury of my Merc soooo much more. and the fact I worked and paid for it outright makes all the difference to me.

Oddly had I had the use of a brand new high end Fiesta for 2 years when my mum was ill and never felt at home in it. Decent car but I always knew it wasn't mine and never really got any specific joy out of it. When she passed last year I had the chance to make it mine, but still said no.

OP : If you're in a position to have a vanity car bought for you at 17, well, I envy you, but pretty much no one here is going to advise you to get that car. TBH IMO it's an A class? It's pretty much been designed and marketed for people that will pay a huge (and depreciating) markup for the badge. WHY is it your dream car? Have you ever drove one?
Reply 25
Original post by Admit-One
I've been in the back of one zipping around country lanes and it was terrifying. Felt like I was a passenger in Mario Kart.

In fairness, it does LOOK like a kart from Mario Kart.
Reply 26
Original post by Native089
rat

Back again are you? Not getting the message? Scram.
Reply 27
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/first-cars/64339/best-first-cars-for-new-drivers

These cars look like a much better option for a novice driver.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by parmezanne
I'd strongly suggest getting a different car for your first car for a number of reasons:

1. you might crash it
2. insurance is super expensive, let alone on a brand new mercedes

Just some things to think about :yep:

thanks for your advice
Reply 29
Original post by StriderHort
Agree, like many I had the obligatory rusty Corsa as my 1st. But it's led to me appreciating the luxury of my Merc soooo much more. and the fact I worked and paid for it outright makes all the difference to me.

Oddly had I had the use of a brand new high end Fiesta for 2 years when my mum was ill and never felt at home in it. Decent car but I always knew it wasn't mine and never really got any specific joy out of it. When she passed last year I had the chance to make it mine, but still said no.

OP : If you're in a position to have a vanity car bought for you at 17, well, I envy you, but pretty much no one here is going to advise you to get that car. TBH IMO it's an A class? It's pretty much been designed and marketed for people that will pay a huge (and depreciating) markup for the badge. WHY is it your dream car? Have you ever drove one?

Yes i get you, like the feeling then of buying my own one would be so rewarding. The reason i like this car so much really is because other family members have had one when they passed their test and i just really like them and love being in one, its an a class so the smallest one similar really to the audi a1 so obviously i wouldnt ask for the top of the market mercedes. But thank you for your advice
Reply 30
also just for anyone wondering it will unlikely be a brand new one, possibly a one or two year old
I would strongly recommend buying a different car, one that would be easier to learn with than a big engine Mercedes. You could look at perhaps a VW Up or Polo - both are nice cars and easier to learn alongside not being a ‘fuel guzzler’ like a Merc. The insurance for a learner and just passed driver is ridiculous so I recommend you avoid going all out on fancy cars until you have some experience.
Original post by unknowgal
okay so its my birthday soon and for my 17th i would like a car, ive been looking at different cars and my parents are willing to buy me my ideal car which is a mercedes a class, and yes i know it’s expensive! Have any of you got a mercedes a class or are learning to drive? what are your opinions on this?

Make your mistakes in a cheap car. Only buy something nice when you have the experience to keep it that way.
Original post by unknowgal
Yes i get you, like the feeling then of buying my own one would be so rewarding. The reason i like this car so much really is because other family members have had one when they passed their test and i just really like them and love being in one, its an a class so the smallest one similar really to the audi a1 so obviously i wouldnt ask for the top of the market mercedes. But thank you for your advice

Looking forward to the thread where you inevitably have driven it into a lamppost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending