Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Started getting something similar to a heat rash 2 years ago, it would come up in summer and fade away in winter, mostly appearing when I walk to school or exercise, Not really affecting me in any way so I ignored it. Then it started to get progressively worse, I would randomly get a bad painful rash in stressful situations when I welt anxious or under pressure, and thinking about this rash made it even worse. It got soo bad that even playing an intense game where there little to none stress could give me a small rash etc. I've contacted the NHS, talked to them, explained than I am in pain and in worse case scenarios have difficulties to breath etc, send them pictures of the rash and waited for them to get back to me . What I heard back was the most disgusting thing ever (para phrasing because I don't remember the exact dialogue) "Sorry we are unable to help you, it seems like the rashes are caused by some sort of allergy, try to experiment with minimising usage of certain clothe material or foods, also try using some anti allergy medication and just wait for the rash to go away " , I feel like the people I talked to are on auto pilot, they completely disregarded the information I've gave them about this rash being consistent for 2 years, and in those 2 years I've tried nearly everything from allergy medication, skin care, clothes material, diet etc. But nothing worked. Now am looking for a private allergy doctor that can at least explain to me what the hell is wrong, so even if they cant help me I can help myself. For clarity I did ask if its possible for me to get tested for allergic reactions but they said the case is not severe enough....

Any advice on what I should do in this situation.
I really need to get rid of this health problem until university starts, I have plans on joining a sports society etc, which is going to be near impossible with this rash...
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are you getting any help for your anxiety? If you're not, please look into it. Unfortunately, your GP is right, there are certain threshholds you have to meet to be referred to allergists/dermatologists. What medication have you tried? What doses? Might be worth asking your GP about specifics. I'm on quite a high doses of various anti-histamines (prescribed that way by my allergist/dermatologist) for my issues, some of which sounds similar to yours.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Are you getting any help for your anxiety? If you're not, please look into it. Unfortunately, your GP is right, there are certain threshholds you have to meet to be referred to allergists/dermatologists. What medication have you tried? What doses? Might be worth asking your GP about specifics. I'm on quite a high doses of various anti-histamines (prescribed that way by my allergist/dermatologist) for my issues, some of which sounds similar to yours.
I have tried different doses of different medication, unfortunately I don't remember which ones exactly but I definitely tried "Fexofenadine", I have also tried to take them at different times e.g. before the rash, during and after. Nothing had a positive effect . I am not a fan of consuming medication for a long period of time, If I don't see any positive results with in couple of weeks I will stop because it seems useless to spend money and drug yourself if you don't see results. Not exactly sure how exactly I can get help with anxiety, Advice on the internet seems very pointless, and some of them like "express your anxiety to people around you", will only cause more anxiety in the end.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have tried different doses of different medication, unfortunately I don't remember which ones exactly but I definitely tried "Fexofenadine", I have also tried to take them at different times e.g. before the rash, during and after. Nothing had a positive effect . I am not a fan of consuming medication for a long period of time, If I don't see any positive results with in couple of weeks I will stop because it seems useless to spend money and drug yourself if you don't see results. Not exactly sure how exactly I can get help with anxiety, Advice on the internet seems very pointless, and some of them like "express your anxiety to people around you", will only cause more anxiety in the end.
Go back to your GP. Therapy can help with this, in terms of the mental side of it, which may have a marked effect on the physical issue. Speak to your GP again about the medication side of things, they should be able to give you more solid directions. That and if multiple things don't work they they may refer you anyway.

Can't speak to private care though, I didn't go down that route.
sienna546
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hey! I suffer from anxiety rashes all over my neck and chest, something I've found that helps me out is washing my hands with really cold water when I'm anxious. You can self-refer yourself online for support on your anxiety, should be on the NHS website I did some cbt sessions and they've been helpful. I also did an allergy test because I was getting rashes along with stomach pains and I ended up coming out with a few allergies however stress is a big factor for my rashes and antihistamines didn't help! I would defo recommend starting therapy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (594)
49.29%
No (611)
50.71%

Watched Threads