The Student Room Group

How easy is it to change universities?

Is it possible to get into a uni that you did not apply for through UCAS? Would you have to re-apply?
I tend to overthink things a lot and am worried that I will feel like I've made the wrong choice with my uni decisions. Once I have applied through UCAS, how set in stone are the decisions I've made? What are my options?
I feel really lost with unis. Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Is it possible to get into a uni that you did not apply for through UCAS? Would you have to re-apply?
I tend to overthink things a lot and am worried that I will feel like I've made the wrong choice with my uni decisions. Once I have applied through UCAS, how set in stone are the decisions I've made? What are my options?
I feel really lost with unis. Does anyone have any advice?

Have you started at university yet or only just applied?
You can substitute your choices on Track within 14 days of applying or you can decline all offers and apply to an Extra choice in february - or you can place yourself into Clearing in the summer and apply elsewhere through Clearing.

If you start a degree and then want to move elsewhere then you have to reapply through UCAS as a transfer (even if you want to restart) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424 <- this explains the basics

Transfers aren't simple so if you're not sure about your university then it's usually a better idea to take a gap year and reapply instead of starting a course you don't want to finish.
Original post by PQ
Have you started at university yet or only just applied?
You can substitute your choices on Track within 14 days of applying or you can decline all offers and apply to an Extra choice in february - or you can place yourself into Clearing in the summer and apply elsewhere through Clearing.

If you start a degree and then want to move elsewhere then you have to reapply through UCAS as a transfer (even if you want to restart) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424 <- this explains the basics

Transfers aren't simple so if you're not sure about your university then it's usually a better idea to take a gap year and reapply instead of starting a course you don't want to finish.

Is substituting a smart choice now?

In a situation where I think I'll be rejected from one of my choices - referee told me different predicted to what she put down in the end so now I don't meet requirements for one of my choices. I was going to substitute for one I very clearly meet but I'm 50/50, at least with the one I've applied for I'll have equal considerations, whereas the other I'll be late for but I'll meet the requirements so not sure
I suppose you're not guaranteed anything as a late applicant hence why I ask, is substituting as good an option after the deadlines?

Thank you
Original post by Fantasmia
Is substituting a smart choice now?

In a situation where I think I'll be rejected from one of my choices - referee told me different predicted to what she put down in the end so now I don't meet requirements for one of my choices. I was going to substitute for one I very clearly meet but I'm 50/50, at least with the one I've applied for I'll have equal considerations, whereas the other I'll be late for but I'll meet the requirements so not sure
I suppose you're not guaranteed anything as a late applicant hence why I ask, is substituting as good an option after the deadlines?

Thank you

I wouldn’t substitute in that situation. If you like the risky option then leave it as one of your choices. Universities don’t use predicted grades the way applicants think they do.
Original post by PQ
I wouldn’t substitute in that situation. If you like the risky option then leave it as one of your choices. Universities don’t use predicted grades the way applicants think they do.

Thanks :colondollar: I was worried it might look like I glossed over the bare minimum entry requirements and for that to be an instant no. In fairness, my referee did mention health issues in the reference so hopefully it might mitigate. However, it's a more selective Russell group that weights GCSES.. I guess either way I feel I've wasted a choice, there isn't a perfect solution whichever way I go.

Competitive course though, law..
Original post by Fantasmia
Thanks :colondollar: I was worried it might look like I glossed over the bare minimum entry requirements and for that to be an instant no. In fairness, my referee did mention health issues in the reference so hopefully it might mitigate. However, it's a more selective Russell group that weights GCSES.. I guess either way I feel I've wasted a choice, there isn't a perfect solution whichever way I go.

Competitive course though, law..

If you substitute then you have no chance of an offer from a university you like. Better a slim chance than no chance.
Original post by PQ
If you substitute then you have no chance of an offer from a university you like. Better a slim chance than no chance.

Ah, it's that black and white?

I thought emailing and asking if they had places for the course for late applicants could be a shout, but obviously, law is so competitive that there's probably little wiggle room post-deadline especially for RG. Hopefully I get lucky with the one I've got on UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending