The Student Room Group

GCSE German or French

Hi guys
I just wanted to know wether your views on wether gcse German or French is easier, which one is it easier to get a higher grade in (9), any difficultieslearnign rules,hardest aspects of it etc. Any revision tips and resources would also be really useful!

For background information I find German vocab, listening and reading easier than french but the word order and rules I struggle with whereas in french I can remember vocab but not as vividly as German and I haven’t done many listening lately but the times I have I found distiguishing each word not as easy as German again. But when writing I find the grammar rules easier.
Original post by Aquasauce
Hi guys
I just wanted to know wether your views on wether gcse German or French is easier, which one is it easier to get a higher grade in (9), any difficultieslearnign rules,hardest aspects of it etc. Any revision tips and resources would also be really useful!

For background information I find German vocab, listening and reading easier than french but the word order and rules I struggle with whereas in french I can remember vocab but not as vividly as German and I haven’t done many listening lately but the times I have I found distiguishing each word not as easy as German again. But when writing I find the grammar rules easier.

Hi, so I am doing both at GCSE and I completely agree with German vocab being easier but the grammar being harder, etc. I think there are difficult aspects to both so it's about which one you enjoy more. Personally, I prefer French but lots of my friends prefer German. In terms of revision tips, learn as much vocab as you can (this will help especially with reading & listening) and do lots of practice papers.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by average_human
Hi, so I am doing both at GCSE and I completely agree with German vocab being easier but the grammar being harder, etc. I think there are difficult aspects to both so it's about which one you enjoy more. Personally, I prefer French but lots of my friends prefer German. In terms of revision tips, learn as much vocab as you can (this will help especially with reading & listening) and do lots of practice papers.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks so much! That’s the Dillema I have I’m not sure wether I like German or French more as on some days I prefer french and vice versa. I guess I kind of just wanted insight on each subject which you gave me! Thanks again!
Thanks so much! That’s the Dillema I have I’m not sure wether I like German or French more as on some days I prefer french and vice versa. I guess I kind of just wanted insight on each subject which you gave me! Thanks again!

No problem! I agree sometimes I like French more and sometimes I like German! Do you study both at GCSE?
Reply 4
No problem! I agree sometimes I like French more and sometimes I like German! Do you study both at GCSE?

No I am actually picking my options this week and I am having a last minute panic!😄 I have seen other posts where they have said that French is easier so now I’m really confused! I don’t particularly love structure in German and basically it’s the grammar thast causing a bit of a last minute panic! Whereas in French I can’t recall as much Vocab, for example if you give me a sentence to translate into German I find it easier to do so than french! I think it’s due to the fact I’ve been learning german for longer tho!
No I am actually picking my options this week and I am having a last minute panic!😄 I have seen other posts where they have said that French is easier so now I’m really confused! I don’t particularly love structure in German and basically it’s the grammar thast causing a bit of a last minute panic! Whereas in French I can’t recall as much Vocab, for example if you give me a sentence to translate into German I find it easier to do so than french! I think it’s due to the fact I’ve been learning german for longer tho!

Oh OK! Yeah, I've been learning French longer so I think that's why I find it easier compared to German. Honestly just go with the one you enjoy more because the grammar will get a lot harder at GCSE in both languages anyway. For example, German word order is difficult but the more you practice the easier it gets whereas in French I've had to learn a lot more tenses than German to get top grades-plus like you said the vocab is a lot easier to learn in German. I'm sure you'll do great either way but my main piece of advice would be to pick the one you like best now :smile:
Reply 6
Oh OK! Yeah, I've been learning French longer so I think that's why I find it easier compared to German. Honestly just go with the one you enjoy more because the grammar will get a lot harder at GCSE in both languages anyway. For example, German word order is difficult but the more you practice the easier it gets whereas in French I've had to learn a lot more tenses than German to get top grades-plus like you said the vocab is a lot easier to learn in German. I'm sure you'll do great either way but my main piece of advice would be to pick the one you like best now :smile:

Thank so much! That’s great advice and I’ll definitely take it in board! 😁
German grammar is significantly harder than French. As for the vocab, both are related to English enough and you already mentioned that you find German vocab easier. I personally find French vocab way easier but that's the beauty of subjectivity hehe.

It really does just boil down to the simple questions of which one you enjoy the most and which one you think you'll do better at. Only you can answer those two questions haha.

Also, just ask yourself if you'd rather be learning grammatical cases and declensions (German) or loads of tenses (French) haha
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank so much! That’s great advice and I’ll definitely take it in board! 😁

no problem and good luck with your choices! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by SirNoodles
German grammar is significantly harder than French. As for the vocab, both are related to English enough and you already mentioned that you find German vocab easier. I personally find French vocab way easier but that's the beauty of subjectivity hehe.

It really does just boil down to the simple questions of which one you enjoy the most and which one you think you'll do better at. Only you can answer those two questions haha.

Also, just ask yourself if you'd rather be learning grammatical cases and declensions (German) or loads of tenses (French) haha

no problem and good luck with your choices! :smile:

Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it! I think I or probably will take German as I really don’t like the tenses in french lol! But my mind might change anytime! Thanks gain I really appreciate it!😊😊
Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it! I think I or probably will take German as I really don’t like the tenses in french lol! But my mind might change anytime! Thanks gain I really appreciate it!😊😊

I think you will really enjoy German from what I've heard, it's one of my favourite subjects too! Good luck :smile:
Reply 11
I think you will really enjoy German from what I've heard, it's one of my favourite subjects too! Good luck :smile:

Ahhh ur too nice! Thanks so much for helping me so much , you’ve given me a lot of insight and clarity in what I want to do! Hahahahhaha ur so nice, thanks a ton again! I really appreciate it! 😊😊
Hi! I think the grade boundaries r usually the same for both languages. I’m not sure though
I would go for German as I found it more similar to English than french and i know it has more complex grammar but you can easily get the hang of it x

do you have any tips? :smile:
Original post by lanaaa0976
do you have any tips? :smile:

hi!

firstly don't neglect your grammar - it's so boring but if you just practice it consistently from the start then you will be fine

also I wish i'd done more immersion - like listening to songs/TV shows in German - it takes so little effort but I think it rly helps especially with listening & speaking

make use of revision guides for your film & novel studies cause (for me anyway) there's not a lot online resources

hi!

firstly don't neglect your grammar - it's so boring but if you just practice it consistently from the start then you will be fine

also I wish i'd done more immersion - like listening to songs/TV shows in German - it takes so little effort but I think it rly helps especially with listening & speaking

make use of revision guides for your film & novel studies cause (for me anyway) there's not a lot online resources

hellooo :smile:))

ahhh thank you so much! So helpful!! I'm kind of falling behind on the grammar parts so I defo need to catch up on that.. one day soon haha
Original post by lanaaa0976
hellooo :smile:))

ahhh thank you so much! So helpful!! I'm kind of falling behind on the grammar parts so I defo need to catch up on that.. one day soon haha

no that was soo me i hated grammar lol

Quick Reply

Latest