UCL Postgraduate Offer - Should I accept?

Watch
cms124
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi!

I am an EEA national and recently received an unconditional offer for an MSc in the Political Science department at UCL for 2021 entry. I have always wanted to study and live in London, and I am excited that I have been admitted to a top university like UCL.

However, I am just unsure if the fees to attend UCL for a one-year master course is worth the investment. The reason I gravitate toward this school and program is due to the extensive research preparation and the modules offered. Unfortunately, this level and prestige is not offered in my home country. I grew up as a "third culture kid" and have been living overseas for a while; thus, I foresee advancing my professional career internationally as well.

Any other EU and EEA international students attending university in the UK in the fall, and more specifically at UCL?

I would greatly appreciate your input and advice!
Last edited by cms124; 4 weeks ago
kwtkwsk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I study at UCL and am an EU citizen, it was worth all the money!
cms124
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by kwtkwsk)
I study at UCL and am an EU citizen, it was worth all the money!
Thank you for your reply, so glad to hear you're enjoying your time at UCL!
kwtkwsk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by cms124)
Thank you for your reply, so glad to hear you're enjoying your time at UCL!
Actually, my best friend is doing an MSc at the departament of political science and they are very satisfied. The best part is that you can choose from a vast range of modules covering everything from legal stuff to democracy and riots to political theory and area studies! Make sure to look thoroughly through the list of modules and choose them according to your liking! It's also worth thinking about the general area you'd like to write your dissertation in.
ohwell1996
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I also did an MA at UCL. It's an extraordinary amount of money for an overseas student if you're unable to get any funding. The cost of living in London is also astronomical, it really cannot be understated. It's also an extraordinary amount of money to be paying for an online degree, should things not improve with Covid by the time you start. As for UCL, I was in another department but I had no issues with the administration (though I felt my course was a bit "rushed" which is probably to be expected from a year-long programme). It's a tough call, so I wish you luck in your deliberation.
cms124
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by kwtkwsk)
Actually, my best friend is doing an MSc at the departament of political science and they are very satisfied. The best part is that you can choose from a vast range of modules covering everything from legal stuff to democracy and riots to political theory and area studies! Make sure to look thoroughly through the list of modules and choose them according to your liking! It's also worth thinking about the general area you'd like to write your dissertation in.
Sorry for the late response, I'm new to this forum and had a bit of trouble logging back in!

The modules at offer in the Poli Sci department are exactly why I applied in the first place! A well-rounded list of courses that will allow me to shape my academic background according to my interests. I am happy to hear your best friend is very satisfied with the MSc. It makes me look forward to my postgraduate degree even more. Thanks again for sharing!
Last edited by cms124; 1 week ago
cms124
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ohwell1996)
I also did an MA at UCL. It's an extraordinary amount of money for an overseas student if you're unable to get any funding. The cost of living in London is also astronomical, it really cannot be understated. It's also an extraordinary amount of money to be paying for an online degree, should things not improve with Covid by the time you start. As for UCL, I was in another department but I had no issues with the administration (though I felt my course was a bit "rushed" which is probably to be expected from a year-long programme). It's a tough call, so I wish you luck in your deliberation.
These are my exact concerns, especially when it comes to Covid and the format potentially being conducted virtually, as well as the cost of living. It is a tough call given the current climate; however, it's good to hear you had no issues related to administration. Thank you for your input ohwell1996!
ohwell1996
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cms124)
These are my exact concerns, especially when it comes to Covid and the format potentially being conducted virtually, as well as the cost of living. It is a tough call given the current climate; however, it's good to hear you had no issues related to administration. Thank you for your input ohwell1996!
You're most welcome, take care!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (59)
13.05%
Virtual campus tours/open days (104)
23.01%
Live streaming events (41)
9.07%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (43)
9.51%
A uni comparison tool (104)
23.01%
An in-person event when available (101)
22.35%