average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Could someone help me answer these questions? Thanks

How can an earthquake affect urban water supplies?
How can it affect gas & electricity supplies?
How can a viaduct & overpass support columns be strengthened in a retrofit project?

thanks
djuebsja
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
an earthquake can affect urban water supplies as fractures in the ground can result in burst pipes meaning water supply is compromised. In the same way this can affect gas and electricity supplies as lines and pipes may be adversely affected
tvkradi22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't know how detailed you want the answers, but here are a few thoughts off the top of my head:

Urban water supplies: could cause land slides and dirt and sediments getting into the water supplies. Trees and vegetation and other debris could block of supplies to houses. Could damage sewage systems and spill into water supplies. If houses and buildings are damaged, their connection to energy and water could be cut off.

Gas and electricity supplies: knocking over electricity poles (especially in LICs, since M- and HICs are less likely to have electricity running above ground). Damaging and/or breaking energy pipelines. If houses and buildings are damaged, their connection to energy and water could be cut off.

Viaduct and overpass support columns: (not an expert, but some ideas...) Support with steel or other strong metal beams, especially forming the strong triangular shape.

It's not a lot, but I hope that helps. If you have any more questions concerning Geography (or anything else), let me know. I am currently doing Year 13 Geo, so I have a bit of experience. Don't know how much these answers will help, but I hope they do.
May I ask what you need the answers for? Are you writing an essay? Have you done research online?
average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by tvkradi22)
I don't know how detailed you want the answers, but here are a few thoughts off the top of my head:

Urban water supplies: could cause land slides and dirt and sediments getting into the water supplies. Trees and vegetation and other debris could block of supplies to houses. Could damage sewage systems and spill into water supplies. If houses and buildings are damaged, their connection to energy and water could be cut off.

Gas and electricity supplies: knocking over electricity poles (especially in LICs, since M- and HICs are less likely to have electricity running above ground). Damaging and/or breaking energy pipelines. If houses and buildings are damaged, their connection to energy and water could be cut off.

Viaduct and overpass support columns: (not an expert, but some ideas...) Support with steel or other strong metal beams, especially forming the strong triangular shape.

It's not a lot, but I hope that helps. If you have any more questions concerning Geography (or anything else), let me know. I am currently doing Year 13 Geo, so I have a bit of experience. Don't know how much these answers will help, but I hope they do.
May I ask what you need the answers for? Are you writing an essay? Have you done research online?
thank you, these are really helpful! I was just answering questions for homework
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (183)
43.88%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (48)
11.51%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.91%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (88)
21.1%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (41)
9.83%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (24)
5.76%

Watched Threads