harry_marsh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
'Evaluate the significance of governments and IGOs in defining development targets and policies (20) 'Please could someone give me a few points to start??
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
An overall argument for your essay could be debating between government led and top-down approaches against NGO based community and grassroots based approaches, or you could explain the role of intergovernmental organisations and governments about developmental policies for a particular region or country you've studied.
- Start with introducing some theory about international and sustainable development, especially the UN sustainable development goals.
- Examples could include UN peacekeeping in South Sudan after civil war conflict and human rights abuses, or political development in Afghanistan to reclaim governmental sovereignty against the Taliban and crackdown on opiate drug smuggling for example.
- The contents of policy making and relative success of policy making, is this promoting human rights, female emancipation, creating jobs, food security and importantly environmental sustainability?
- How effective is the policy making and can it be introduced? Will this cause corruption and nepotism like the leaders of Sao Tome and Principe / Equatorial Guinea purchasing designer cars and castles in Europe https://www.france24.com/en/africa/2...atorial-guinea
- Does the population have the socio-cultural capacity to accept new policy making, or would it be more appropriate for NGOs and charities to work on a grassroots level with local communities, especially women and children or religious minorities to focus on issues like child marriage, female emancipation or girls attending school.

You could then conclude about evaluating the relative success of different governmental policy vs grassroots approaches when trying to promote sustainable development or socio-cultural change. You could bring in ideas about scale and local vs national approaches, cultural and social barriers or resistances to change like ending dowry killings and arranged marriages in South-Asian cultures just as another example.
Overall the question is rather broad and open so you could talk about lots of things you would like to really, but try to be specific and use any case study or place-specific information that you know about.
harry_marsh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ðeggs)
An overall argument for your essay could be debating between government led and top-down approaches against NGO based community and grassroots based approaches, or you could explain the role of intergovernmental organisations and governments about developmental policies for a particular region or country you've studied.
- Start with introducing some theory about international and sustainable development, especially the UN sustainable development goals.
- Examples could include UN peacekeeping in South Sudan after civil war conflict and human rights abuses, or political development in Afghanistan to reclaim governmental sovereignty against the Taliban and crackdown on opiate drug smuggling for example.
- The contents of policy making and relative success of policy making, is this promoting human rights, female emancipation, creating jobs, food security and importantly environmental sustainability?
- How effective is the policy making and can it be introduced? Will this cause corruption and nepotism like the leaders of Sao Tome and Principe / Equatorial Guinea purchasing designer cars and castles in Europe https://www.france24.com/en/africa/2...atorial-guinea
- Does the population have the socio-cultural capacity to accept new policy making, or would it be more appropriate for NGOs and charities to work on a grassroots level with local communities, especially women and children or religious minorities to focus on issues like child marriage, female emancipation or girls attending school.

You could then conclude about evaluating the relative success of different governmental policy vs grassroots approaches when trying to promote sustainable development or socio-cultural change. You could bring in ideas about scale and local vs national approaches, cultural and social barriers or resistances to change like ending dowry killings and arranged marriages in South-Asian cultures just as another example.
Overall the question is rather broad and open so you could talk about lots of things you would like to really, but try to be specific and use any case study or place-specific information that you know about.
So, what would be an AO1 point example?
Peter76530
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by harry_marsh)
'Evaluate the significance of governments and IGOs in defining development targets and policies (20) 'Please could someone give me a few points to start??
What topic is this for?
harry_marsh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peter76530)
What topic is this for?
Unit 4. Section 8. 'Health, Human Rights and Intervention'.
A-Level Pearson Exam Board (I think) ahaha

This specific question is being done under Enquiring Question 1
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by harry_marsh)
So, what would be an AO1 point example?
I don't know what exam board you do but this should be something you know, or at least your teachers should have told you. I've just given you some ideas and a basic structure for a possible argument, you should warp and mould by ideas to fit your exam essay writing style and exam board.
harry_marsh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ðeggs)
I don't know what exam board you do but this should be something you know, or at least your teachers should have told you. I've just given you some ideas and a basic structure for a possible argument, you should warp and mould by ideas to fit your exam essay writing style and exam board.
Much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (194)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (560)
14.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (430)
11.18%
Lack of purpose or motivation (530)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (190)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (232)
6.03%
Loneliness (323)
8.4%
Financial worries (141)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (151)
3.93%
Exposure to negative news/social media (172)
4.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (218)
5.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (343)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (361)
9.39%

Watched Threads