The Student Room Group

They should cancel all GCSE, A/AS level exams until 2024.

Deleted
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yikes
2022 - I can sympathise with.

2023-2024?! Absolutely not.
I... disagree.
We suffer more by having our exams cancelled
Original post by FailedAcadamia

Exactly. I can't see any perks, unless you're a student that benefits off teacher assessments.
Reply 6
The whole country's been affected so the grade boundaries will sort the disruption when it's safe to run exams. Teacher assessments are unreliable, seem to lead to rampant grade inflation and a poor option.
Deleted
(edited 2 years ago)
Deleted
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymousnope
Ethnic minorities and disadvantaged students have suffered from this pandemic the most. Their essential learning years have been destroyed. Exams should be cancelled for those set to take them in 2022-2023.

Speak for yourself. I'm an ethnic minority (I'm black) and a disadvantaged student (benefits + I was in care for a year), and I know so many others like me who didn't want this. I as well as so many of us who aren't lazy wanted exams to go ahead and the fact that some people are advocating for this hell to continue for an additional 3 years is disgusting
Deleted
(edited 2 years ago)

Exactly lol and us 2021 students are already starting to see the effects. I and many other people on TSR have faced 2x more workload and tests every other week as they need to collect data. This is stressing us out more - plus the mini exams that are supposedly going ahead in the summer show that there really isn't a fairer alternative. Either way, you'll be tested whether it's 'mini' or a full paper.
Reply 12
seems like a stretch
Original post by hiiiii1
Exactly lol and us 2021 students are already starting to see the effects. I and many other people on TSR have faced 2x more workload and tests every other week as they need to collect data. This is stressing us out more - plus the mini exams that are supposedly going ahead in the summer show that there really isn't a fairer alternative. Either way, you'll be tested whether it's 'mini' or a full paper.

Exactly. We might as well do a proper paper at this point their alternatives are so much worse
“Safe to run exams” who will it be safe to run exams for? students are suffering from extreme mental anguish because of this disruption many have taken gap years and are doing A levels at 18 because. Their mental well-being is shattered. Their confidence is shattered. They fear the consequences of this pandemic. Teacher assessments take theses things into account, exams don’t. Sure exams should be used to measure progress but the final grades shouldn’t be determined by them.

Well, teacher assessments would require more evidence, wouldn't it? In that case, you should be prepared for a lot more class tests and assessments because how else will they decide our grades? This has just caused more fatigue and stress, which is what you are trying to prevent.
No students should suffer because this government mishandled the pandemic. Those set to take exams during 2022-2023 have faced extreme disruption and not received the level of teaching they deserve which is harmful in the long run as these are extremely crucial learning years. Cancel 2021-2023 exams and replace them with teacher assessments. Bring exams back in 2024 as the students taking them will not have faced the same level of disruption as those taking GCSE, A or AS levels in 2022 or 2023.

I really do not think that this is a good idea. I am in year 12 and want to sit my end of year exams to get solid, fair predictions and then have a chance to prove myself in the real thing in year 13.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by hiiiii1

i completely agree, i feel like we got hit worse that 2020 students
Students set to take exams in 2023 have faced extreme levels of disruption, students in their first year of GCSEs haven’t got the level of teaching they deserve, students who are set to take A levels have faced extreme disruption because of this virus. Many disadvantaged and ethnic minority pupils have faced the worse consequences of their missed learning time thanks to this government. Ethnic minorities are more likely to get the virus meaning many students had to shield or care for loved ones all the while trying to learn. Disadvantaged pupils haven’t had the resources to allow them to flourish in this remote learning environment. Exams should be taken in 2024. 2022-2023 is when grades should be allocated based on teacher assessments which take into account many factors exams don’t. The privilege that comes from your reply shocks me. No one has had a normal learning experience especially ethnic minorities or disadvantaged pupils. They have been the victims of this governments mishandling of this pandemic. Their futures depend on this.

Okay, put it this way:

Those expecting to sit their GCSEs in 2023 are current Year 9s. Those expecting to sit their A-Levels in 2023 are current Year 11s.

Year 9s - very few schools start GCSEs in Year 9, and if they do, it is basic content/the first few. They're generally not so bad to self teach and can be revised over later, if worst comes to worst.

Year 11s - This cohort haven't even started teaching yet.

The privilege that comes from my reply? Dear anonymous, I am an ethnic minority, current Year 13 student who's future currently hangs in the balance. I do not wish my situation on anyone, and by the time it comes to these cohorts you mention - a lot of the problems you state are likely to be solved.

I put blame on the government, of course. I definitely don't agree with the handling of this pandemic and they have made their fair share of mistakes. However, there is only so far the government can go - people need to listen to the rules.
Speak for yourself. I'm an ethnic minority (I'm black) and a disadvantaged student (benefits + I was in care for a year), and I know so many others like me who didn't want this. I as well as so many of us who aren't lazy wanted exams to go ahead and the fact that some people are advocating for this hell to continue for an additional 3 years is disgusting

Exactly
Original post by RazzzBerries
Okay, put it this way:

Those expecting to sit their GCSEs in 2023 are current Year 9s. Those expecting to sit their A-Levels in 2023 are current Year 11s.

Year 9s - very few schools start GCSEs in Year 9, and if they do, it is basic content/the first few. They're generally not so bad to self teach and can be revised over later, if worst comes to worst.

Year 11s - This cohort haven't even started teaching yet.

The privilege that comes from my reply? Dear anonymous, I am an ethnic minority, current Year 13 student who's future currently hangs in the balance. I do not wish my situation on anyone, and by the time it comes to these cohorts you mention - a lot of the problems you state are likely to be solved.

I put blame on the government, of course. I definitely don't agree with the handling of this pandemic and they have made their fair share of mistakes. However, there is only so far the government can go - people need to listen to the rules.

Exactly. It is illogical and unnecessary to cancel the exams for these groups.

Quick Reply

Latest