The Student Room Group

They should cancel all GCSE, A/AS level exams until 2024.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymousnope
Rules like shake everyone’s hand

What?
Someone I know tried to kill himself when his dad died from the virus and had to take 2 years off before going to college meaning he’s 18 now and doing the A levels in college.

How is this possible given the covid-19 has only been around for a year?
Deleted
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 43
Rules like stay at home but eat out to help out
Rules like shake everyone’s hand
Rules like go back to work now (even though it’s probably unsafe)
I think you’re finding people did listen to the rules. That’s the problem.
As for your first point. Students going into year 12 have still had to face extreme disruptions. Someone I know tried to kill himself when his dad died from the virus and had to take 2 years off before going to college meaning he’s 18 now and doing the A levels in college. This pandemics consequences are going to be felt for a long time. Students are going to be forced to deal with them. I have many horror stories about what’s happening. I want to cry everyday and I know others who are barely hanging on.

key workers...
Reply 44
Ethnic minorities have had to shield and care for relatives because their more likely to get the worst form of the virus. Teachers have understood this and sympathised, exams won’t. Covid 19 will be sorted eventually but the consequences of what students have had to put up with won’t. A new intake of students in 2024 should take the exams because their crucial years of learning weren’t disrupted. Those taking exams in 2022-23 have had their formative years be completely disrupted.

i dont think u should be generalizing ethnic minorities like this because not ALL ethnic minorities are carers
Deletd
(edited 2 years ago)
Deletd
(edited 2 years ago)
According to Boris “I went to a covid ward and shook everyone’s hand”
This was when WHO were saying how transmittable the disease was seemed like a slap in the face. The leader of our government advocated doing something dangerous.

I wouldn't say that's a "rule", he shook people's hands as a sign of gratitude because they are working tirelessly to overcome this virus.
They said clap for key workers but couldn’t even pay them properly. They neglected the mental and physical health of key workers and led them like lambs to the slaughter. These rules were and still are dangerous.

Yes, I agree, but what has that got to do with shaking peoples hands?
They said clap for key workers but couldn’t even pay them properly. They neglected the mental and physical health of key workers and led them like lambs to the slaughter. These rules were and still are dangerous.

Honestly mate seems like you're rambling about the injustices in general, to get things done / to have important conversations where change happens you have to stick to a specific topic and figure out the root of individual problems. Ethnic minorities, NHS pay, all of this is irrelevant
Ahahahahahhahahahahahhahahah

Why did I spit my drink out when I read the title😂😂😂
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 51
No, that’s just being lazy. Exams being cancelled is worse.
Reply 52

clap for key workers isn't a rule and yes i agree key workers are going through a lot rn and it isn't fair but saying that its against the rules for them to go and work is ridiculous as their jobs are essential.
Deletd
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi. I'm part of the year group that had their GCSEs cancelled last year and who knows what's going to happen to my A-levels next year. I don't think they should cancel any of the national exams at this point. I know that for myself and others like me, having the end goals of these national exams will help motivate me when doing homework and when revising for exams. I say this because when I've gotten a test back this year and it's not as high as I want it to be, I know I have time to improve as opposed to knowing that it will more directly count to my grade as this will cause me to stress out.

However, I am not pushing for the exams. I am simply saying don't cancel the exams more than a year in advance as no one knows what's going to happen with COVID and what is going to change in the next year. I do think that we should have a better system in place for CAGs as it was not fair for a decent amount of people last year but I think that they should not be our first choice.
Deletd
(edited 2 years ago)
Deletd
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 57
Ethnic minorities have had to shield and care for relatives because their more likely to get the worst form of the virus. Teachers have understood this and sympathised, exams won’t. Covid 19 will be sorted eventually but the consequences of what students have had to put up with won’t. A new intake of students in 2024 should take the exams because their crucial years of learning weren’t disrupted. Those taking exams in 2022-23 have had their formative years be completely disrupted.

your teachers are not allowed to sympathise with you lol. they're supposed to give you the fairest grades they can as a true representation of what they believe you would have got, hence the mini mocks being there in order to give you grades that you deserve. do you understand the humungous grade inflations that would occur if they just give out better grades to people because of specific circumstances. I don't know if you are applying to universities or are older/younger but most universities have options where if you have 'special circumstances' like if a parent dies or something happens which has specifically impacted your education greatly they you can get a contextual offers and they literally all say nothing COVID related because literally everyone is experiencing it. every single person in the worlds education is being impacted by these exams, like I get 2022 maybe, but not even. I'm in year 13 and if you actually do the online learning (regardless of how tedious you find it) I would have been in a good enough position this year to sit my exams if we had not gone into another lockdown and would have 10000% preferred to sit them and most people in my position agree.
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m not saying it’s ridiculous at all. I’m saying a country that can’t even protect its essential workers cant really make rules at all. They’ve broken the majority of them themselves. The rules they made are designed not to help people but the economy.

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but could you tell us a little about yourself? I don't think it is a good idea to argue that things should be done for the sake of others, as you can never really know what it is that "others" want. Which year are you in, which exams are you taking (or, not taking...) and why do you think that public exams should be cancelled, taking into account only matters that directly impact yourself?
(edited 3 years ago)
Deletd
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending