The Student Room Group

Whats the best martial art?

So im just going to ask it, Whats the best martial art????

im currently doing kokushin karate but im wondering what would happen if i encountered another martial arts on the street that picked a fight with me. Perhaps he does judo or anything really do you think i would win?
if so, what martial arts would i lose to if they had the same amount of training and experience as me?
It doesn't work like that. There are so many factors which are a hundred times more important that what particular style you have trained.

How long you have trained.
Your physical fitness, size, strength
How attuned you are to violence or aggression

In terms of the actual type of martial arts, this isn't that important. What is important is the training method. If it involves free sparring, it is likely to be effective. If it does not, it is likely to be less so.

If you have been doing karate for 10 years, but you are a small person with little physical strength, and your training has comprised mostly of kata, then if you are in a confrontation with someone who has no martial arts training, but has played 2 seasons of rugby -you will very likely lose.

Most of what people tell you about martial arts is untrue.
Reply 2
Original post by gwapomo327

im currently doing kokushin karate but im wondering what would happen if i encountered another martial arts on the street that picked a fight with me. Perhaps he does judo or anything really do you think i would win?
if so, what martial arts would i lose to if they had the same amount of training and experience as me?

As long as you can run faster than him/her, who cares?

I dunno, Judo is pretty nifty on the street with no officials... lots of nasty things to throw people at :tongue:
I literally read the title wrong. I read it as whats the best marital arts instead of martial arts 😂
Reply 5
Original post by Trinculo
It doesn't work like that. There are so many factors which are a hundred times more important that what particular style you have trained.

How long you have trained.
Your physical fitness, size, strength
How attuned you are to violence or aggression

In terms of the actual type of martial arts, this isn't that important. What is important is the training method. If it involves free sparring, it is likely to be effective. If it does not, it is likely to be less so.

If you have been doing karate for 10 years, but you are a small person with little physical strength, and your training has comprised mostly of kata, then if you are in a confrontation with someone who has no martial arts training, but has played 2 seasons of rugby -you will very likely lose.

Most of what people tell you about martial arts is untrue.

This is kinda not true there are senseis who cant punch a makiwara without screaming in pain and have little strength but can still whoop my ass. technique and skill play a key role in martial arts, making it so that those with little strength can beat stronger opponents. Ive done it before too when i fought some crzy bodybuilder who got angry at me for spilling ice cream on his new shoes lol.
This is kinda not true there are senseis who cant punch a makiwara without screaming in pain and have little strength but can still whoop my ass. technique and skill play a key role in martial arts, making it so that those with little strength can beat stronger opponents. Ive done it before too when i fought some crzy bodybuilder who got angry at me for spilling ice cream on his new shoes lol.

Ah. You're an insane fantasist. Say no more.
Reply 7
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8

This is the age old question and one of the reasons the UFC was formed. Nobody expected Royce Gracie to dominate with his families brand of jujitsu in the manner that he did. Nowadays you have to be rounded in all aspects of fighting. The ground game, stand up, submissions, defending and going for takedowns, clinch fighting etc. So the best martial art is one that verses you all in those aspects.

Also if got into a street fight, he/she wouldn't strictly rely on their martial art. There'd likely be some dirty tactics. A kick to the groin, thumbs in eyes. Things that are obviously illegal in sport
Reply 9
Original post by oglez92
This is the age old question and one of the reasons the UFC was formed. Nobody expected Royce Gracie to dominate with his families brand of jujitsu in the manner that he did. Nowadays you have to be rounded in all aspects of fighting. The ground game, stand up, submissions, defending and going for takedowns, clinch fighting etc. So the best martial art is one that verses you all in those aspects.

Also if got into a street fight, he/she wouldn't strictly rely on their martial art. There'd likely be some dirty tactics. A kick to the groin, thumbs in eyes. Things that are obviously illegal in sport

True, I'm learning grappling techniques to make me a well rounded fighter but im still studying different martial arts techniques to learn to exploit and defend against them such as shotokan since its more focused on kata and practitioners arent used to striking with full power like full contact karate users do.
True, I'm learning grappling techniques to make me a well rounded fighter but im still studying different martial arts techniques to learn to exploit and defend against them such as shotokan since its more focused on kata and practitioners arent used to striking with full power like full contact karate users do.

Cool. You don't necessarily have to be profficient at ground game. But at the very least having an awareness of it and being able to defend yourself on the ground helps
Reply 11
Original post by oglez92
Cool. You don't necessarily have to be profficient at ground game. But at the very least having an awareness of it and being able to defend yourself on the ground helps

Yep. Ill take that into account, message me if you have any tips or wanna talk about mma ar other martial arts stuff.
Reply 12
Try Daido Juku Kudo

Best MMA but face is protected

Quick Reply

Latest