`How far do you agree that President Johnson was the most effective president between

Watch this thread
clarkj
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm doing my history coursework and have no idea where to start when it comes to writing it, I think I have finished my research.
`How far do you agree that President Johnson was the most effective president between 1945-1969 in dealing with civil rights?'
Has anyone done this or a similar question
Last edited by clarkj; 1 year ago
Valethar
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Well, those questions tend to be a matter of opinion, but it's mainly looking for evidence that supports your opinion. There's no right or wrong answer for these types of questions, but lack of supporting evidence will quickly fail you.

What the question seems to be asking in particular, is how much do you agree that LBJ did more for Civil Rights than any other president between 45-69. There's only 4 presidents in that time. Harry Truman, Eisenhower, JFK and LBJ. I'd probably look into the other presidents to see what they did for civil rights. Each one of them actually did a fair amount, and it's up to you to list off their civil rights achievement and then decide for yourself if LBJ was the most effective in dealing with civil rights.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Which exam board?

Coursework in A-level history is often about discussing a historical debate. Find some historians who disagree on an answer to this. Look at the primary evidence they use.
clarkj
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Which exam board?

Coursework in A-level history is often about discussing a historical debate. Find some historians who disagree on an answer to this. Look at the primary evidence they use.
I'm on OCR, I have actually finished my research now and am trying to start writing but my teacher hasn't shown us an example of any other history coursework so don't really know where to start.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by clarkj)
I'm doing my history coursework and have no idea where to start when it comes to writing it, I think I have finished my research.
`How far do you agree that President Johnson was the most effective president between 1945-1969 in dealing with civil rights?'
Has anyone done this or a similar question
It's easy to assume that the question is asking how effective LBJ was in promoting civil rights, but that's not actually what it asks. The phrase "dealing with" is open to interpretation. For example, when Johnson was in power a significant proportion of Americans would have wanted him to "deal with" civil rights by quashing them!

Is the wording of the question in your control?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by clarkj)
I'm on OCR, I have actually finished my research now and am trying to start writing but my teacher hasn't shown us an example of any other history coursework so don't really know where to start.
Okay, I did OCR as well.
What I did was do a paragraph for each historian I'd looked at in depth and evaluate their arguments and the evidence they used for it. e.g. 'historian X argues Y position, on the basis that ABC, however this view does have its limitations based on evidence DEF', something like that - but a lot more carefully. Might feel weird attacking historians' arguments, but honestly go for it.
However, I've noticed that it's very subjective between teachers as to which is the best approach so it's possible that your teacher will see this as the wrong way of going about it. Are you able to email your teacher?

I'd assume you were doing the civil rights topic for unit 3, but aren't you required to have the coursework be in a different field to that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.8%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.28%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.52%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (23)
17.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.55%

Watched Threads