The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Languages and Law at SOAS

I have applied to do Law LLB at SOAS and received an offer. I was just wondering whether you could also do a language course on the side of doing a normal Law degree. I would like to do Chinese on the side but am not sure if I would be able to seeing as the course I have applied to is full time. Please let me know if you attend the uni and have any knowledge about this :smile:
As a student at SOAS. It all comes down to whether you have any open modules . Which is probably unlikely year one. Year two onwards you may. Now it’s worth pointing out that SOAS going through a major restructuring that is absolutely gutting the language departments.
I get three hours of chinese a week ( even thoug chinese is my degree ) yes you read that right 3! More than two thirds of my degree despite its title have absolutely nothing to do with the chinese language . I had previous knowledge and I am on one of the top end levels despite only being a year two student . The quality of the courses are apparent by analysing my fellow students . Some will be graduating this year and their chinese is awful . I would imagine that you (just like I did ) that if you were studying a chinese degree at uni , during your final year you’d expect to be pretty good . The majority of students in my class cannot understand basic commands in chinese . The teacher literally has to explain assignments in English . Now I’m not telling you this to bash my fellow students , merely to point out that if you are really set in doing law and maybe chinese on the side , I would recommend you choose a different university .
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by Stumpy1001
As a student at SOAS. It all comes down to whether you have any open modules . Which is probably unlikely year one. Year two onwards you may. Now it’s worth pointing out that SOAS going through a major restructuring that is absolutely gutting the language departments.
I get three hours of chinese a week ( even thoug chinese is my degree ) yes you read that right 3! More than two thirds of my degree despite its title have absolutely nothing to do with the chinese language . I had previous knowledge and I am on one of the top end levels despite only being a year two student . The quality of the courses are apparent by analysing my fellow students . Some will be graduating this year and their chinese is awful . I would imagine that you (just like I did ) that if you were studying a chinese degree at uni , during your final year you’d expect to be pretty good . The majority of students in my class cannot understand basic commands in chinese . The teacher literally has to explain assignments in English . Now I’m not telling you this to bash my fellow students , merely to point out that if you are really set in doing law and maybe chinese on the side , I would recommend you choose a different university .

Oh my goodness! 3 hours doesn't seem like nearly enough :frown: I don't have my entire heart set on doing a language but it was mainly just as something on the side (mainly because I did Chinese at GCSE and really enjoyed it and did well). Are all these reforms to do with the lack of funding or something (I think I remember reading that there were problems a while ago)? Also because my course is law and a year abroad they say you can choose to learn that language instead of law in the country you are staying in - maybe this might be better than doing a language for 3 years prior seeing as its more for a hobby. Thanks so much for the heads up though, I hope everything turns out ok for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending