The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for the Black Heart foundation scholarship

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone is applying for the black heat foundation scholarship or had applied.

Any tips on what to include in the 1200 word requirement?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I'm currently planning on applying. I've been doing research and the guidelines are pretty vague and there isn't any sort of clear pattern between scholars.
I feel like for the essay you need to outline a strong career plan and how it wouldn't be possible without funding from them. Then there's the how does it fit in line with the foundation's aims part.

Have you managed to find anything else about the scholarship?
Original post by ayoola
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone is applying for the black heat foundation scholarship or had applied.

Any tips on what to include in the 1200 word requirement?

Original post by banji97
Hi,

I'm currently planning on applying. I've been doing research and the guidelines are pretty vague and there isn't any sort of clear pattern between scholars.
I feel like for the essay you need to outline a strong career plan and how it wouldn't be possible without funding from them. Then there's the how does it fit in line with the foundation's aims part.

Have you managed to find anything else about the scholarship?

hi both :smile:

i've sent in my application today after spending weeks drafting my essay and giving it to scholars to critique... ended up attaching the wrong one to the email LOL

what you want to do is set out what you want the scholarship for, and then link it to the aims of the foundation (broadening access to disadvantaged students, etc), and also present a case of financial need - WHY do you need the scholarship. advice given to me by ibz mo was DON'T be afraid to present a sob story - state all the facts about your circumstances. also make sure you specify what the scholarship would allow you to do. he also said that there may be an interview. also attach the other forms that they tell you to
Reply 3
What are the necessary documents required for the application? Urgent replies please.
Original post by Kamby
What are the necessary documents required for the application? Urgent replies please.

on their website it has the application form that needs to be filled in, the scholarship 'essay', and also a financial form
Reply 5
Original post by moso2203

i've sent in my application today after spending weeks drafting my essay and giving it to scholars to critique... ended up attaching the wrong one to the email LOL

what you want to do is set out what you want the scholarship for, and then link it to the aims of the foundation (broadening access to disadvantaged students, etc), and also present a case of financial need - WHY do you need the scholarship. advice given to me by ibz mo was DON'T be afraid to present a sob story - state all the facts about your circumstances. also make sure you specify what the scholarship would allow you to do. he also said that there may be an interview. also attach the other forms that they tell you to

Thanks for the information, this will be very helpful. Did you wait until you had accepted an offer before applying?
Original post by banji97
Thanks for the information, this will be very helpful. Did you wait until you had accepted an offer before applying?

i waited until i recived an offer which i will be firming yeah. their next application review date is end of april
Reply 7
i waited until i recived an offer which i will be firming yeah. their next application review date is end of april

Thanks, I'm going to submit an application once I written an essay. Thanks for the help and good luck.
Does anyone know how we will be notified of their decision, i.e., letter or email? I saw on their Instagram that they have selected 50 scholars last week, but I am not sure if it was for this round's of applications or December's.
Reply 9
Original post by FoodnBooks
Does anyone know how we will be notified of their decision, i.e., letter or email? I saw on their Instagram that they have selected 50 scholars last week, but I am not sure if it was for this round's of applications or December's.

I'm not sure how we will be contacted. But I just sent off my application; in the confirmation email it says that application between 1st Dec and 28th Feb are currently being reviewed. So i'm assuming that the people they just announced applied before that.
Original post by banji97
I'm not sure how we will be contacted. But I just sent off my application; in the confirmation email it says that application between 1st Dec and 28th Feb are currently being reviewed. So i'm assuming that the people they just announced applied before that.

Thank you. The waiting is killer since a few of us applied early in this quarter. I think a timeframe for when applicants will receive decision for each quarter's applications would be immensely beneficial. Good luck to ya'll.
Reply 11
Hey! Does anyone know if they require bank statements? Or what proof to actually submit alongside financial forms?
Reply 12

Hi! What forms did you submit to support your budget form? Thanks x
Original post by YKK3
Hey! Does anyone know if they require bank statements? Or what proof to actually submit alongside financial forms?

"Please supply any financial statements and supporting financial documentation as part of your application"

I provided financial statements as proof of financial need in my application. If you have other proof that you desperately need this scholarship, include them as well.
Reply 14
Original post by FoodnBooks
"Please supply any financial statements and supporting financial documentation as part of your application"

I provided financial statements as proof of financial need in my application. If you have other proof that you desperately need this scholarship, include them as well.

Oh right okay. How many months bank statements did you include?
Original post by YKK3
Oh right okay. How many months bank statements did you include?

I only included my most recent bank statement.
Reply 16
Thank you for your help!
Hey! Has anyone gotten any feedback on their application?
For those who applied between January - February: no communication regarding decisions has been sent out yet apparently.
I hope they send out there decisions soon cause this scholarship is what determines if I go to uni or not πŸ˜”. Good luck to everyone

Quick Reply

Latest