The Student Room Group

Cheating in online exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Do you have a link to said YouTube videos? Curious to see it firsthand

There was a few but I can only find this one now. Some might have been removed. 7.35 she talks about using Control + Find.

Original post by asif007
There was a few but I can only find this one now. Some might have been removed. 7.35 she talks about using Control + Find.

how is that cheating?
Original post by wolfieboi_
how is that cheating?

Go back and read my post on the previous page. I clearly said they are technically doing nothing wrong if they aren't breaking any rules. What I have a problem with is people who lie about it afterwards. When there are students like the girl in this video talking openly about it, why are the OP's colleagues lying to him and expecting him to believe their BS? We all know full well this is what people do when open book exams come along. Pretend that they all did the work sincerely when only a minority actually did this while the rest don't turn up to uni and just Control+F the way through their exam without having read a single word beforehand. Lots of his colleagues seem to be giving themselves more credit than they earned just because the exam was open book. It's a combination of the university's ignorance, two-faced medical students and the OP's own naivety about his colleagues that have allowed this to happen.
Original post by asif007
Unless it was explicitly written in the declaration that the exam is not open book and students must not cheat, then technically your colleagues have done nothing wrong, and they all know that - so they will all compromise their moral standards in favour of passing an exam.

(...)
I hope this experience has taught you not to trust other medical students so easily, especially when you find out that your colleagues helped each other during the exam but didn't invite you to join them, and only told you about what they did after the exam was already completed.

Hiya, thank you for your reply. The med school clearly stated that it was not an open book exam and that we should not refer to any notes, and to stick to standard exam conditions.

To be honest, even if I had known beforehand that a significant number of people in the cohort would cheat, or even if my friends had 'invited' me to collude with them, I still wouldn't have done it. I just don't think cheating is right (but that's just my opinion!). I understand that most people will only have their interests at heart; when I posted that 2 weeks ago I was indeed mad at my friends but now when I think about it, medicine is a difficult degree and it's not surprising that people will take advantage of online exams (and the lack of invigilation).
I would just straight up advise you to not cheat. Youve been working so hard for 4 years, if someone caught you cheating it could ruin that
Original post by asif007

I'm in the same year as her and what she did was not cheating. Imperial explicitly stated that it was an open book exam so notes and ctrl+F were fair game. The only rule was no collaboration.
Just wanna say thank you all for replying. When I posted about this some weeks (2?) ago I was indeed upset and just wanted to vent. I felt that my hard work did not pay off, and I was disappointed in those people who had cheated. But I have come to realise that hard work will never be wasted, and no one can take my knowledge away from me. My next exams are in April and are most likely going to be face-to-face. Perhaps the Jan exams are a blessing in disguise because I am feeling increasingly confident in my knowledge (April exams will cover the learning outcomes tested in Jan). I just want to own the result I get; if I get 70% in an exam with my honest effort, this is what I deserve and I should be happy about it. However if I have cheated to get 90%, I know I won't be proud.
Even when a significant number of people cheat, or when there is a fear that if I don't follow suit I will be disadvantaged, I am still a firm believer that cheating is not right and hence shouldn't be done. But I appreciate that many people do not share this view and I do not hold a grudge against them :smile:
I'm in the same year as her and what she did was not cheating. Imperial explicitly stated that it was an open book exam so notes and ctrl+F were fair game. The only rule was no collaboration.

Like I said, it's not cheating if they weren't breaking any rules. So that was probably the case at Imperial. But OP says their own medical school stated their exams were not open-book, and then they presumably didn't enforce this. Students knew this, but went ahead and broke the rules anyway, knowing they wouldn't get caught. I think the relevant question here is: if you could cheat knowing you wouldn't get caught, would you still do it? Doesn't give us great confidence in OP's colleagues becoming open and trustworthy doctors in the future when they are already lying to each other and trying to pull a fast one.

A lot of things "should be" happening at UK medical schools throughout this pandemic, but they aren't. And yet the institutions carry on insisting that the "standards" they care so much about are the same now as they were before the pandemic, even though exams now are online, open book, not invigilated and completely unrepresentative of what they were before. Exams are not the same, then standards cannot be the same no matter how much they insist they are. Medical schools are accountable to no-one other than themselves, which is why they get away with BS like this every year, and the pandemic has only exposed these practises further. The only way to affect any kind of institutional change is to create scandals against them and expose dishonest practises like this through the courts, media and on the political battlefield. Which is why I always encourage medical students to call out dishonesty and prejudice at medical schools. More respect to the OP for passing the exam honestly unlike his colleagues who will learn their lessons the hard way one day, and I hope they do sooner rather than later.

Hiya, thank you for your reply. The med school clearly stated that it was not an open book exam and that we should not refer to any notes, and to stick to standard exam conditions.

To be honest, even if I had known beforehand that a significant number of people in the cohort would cheat, or even if my friends had 'invited' me to collude with them, I still wouldn't have done it. I just don't think cheating is right (but that's just my opinion!). I understand that most people will only have their interests at heart; when I posted that 2 weeks ago I was indeed mad at my friends but now when I think about it, medicine is a difficult degree and it's not surprising that people will take advantage of online exams (and the lack of invigilation).

As I say, more respect to you for taking the moral high ground and passing your exam the honest way. But don't give your colleagues the benefit of the doubt. Medicine being a hard degree is no excuse for them to treat you like ****. The issue is not that you would have said no to them. The problem is that you thought these people were your friends and yet they didn't extend you the common courtesy of telling you in advance about their plans to collude, nor give you any opportunity to politely decline. Excluding people in your circle is not what real friends do. This is why medical student cliques are by and large the worst people to rely on when you need support with anything. Can't tell you how many times I've come across two-faced people with multiple personalities who actually turned out to be future doctors.
Ask yourself this. Who's more at fault: medical students for cheating in their exams, or medical schools for creating a culture of dishonesty, cheating and political spin that are acceptable practice free from punishment and accountability?
Original post by asif007
Go back and read my post on the previous page. I clearly said they are technically doing nothing wrong if they aren't breaking any rules. What I have a problem with is people who lie about it afterwards. When there are students like the girl in this video talking openly about it, why are the OP's colleagues lying to him and expecting him to believe their BS? We all know full well this is what people do when open book exams come along. Pretend that they all did the work sincerely when only a minority actually did this while the rest don't turn up to uni and just Control+F the way through their exam without having read a single word beforehand. Lots of his colleagues seem to be giving themselves more credit than they earned just because the exam was open book. It's a combination of the university's ignorance, two-faced medical students and the OP's own naivety about his colleagues that have allowed this to happen.

OPs exam was closed book whereas the one u linked was open book so they didn't do anything wrong in that case
A lot of it is the ability to memorise a lot of facts.

what makes a great doctor, though, is not the passing of exams so much as empathy, good team work and going the extra mile for others. The cheaters don’t seem to have demonstrated these values.

op, on the other hand, I can see his halo shining from here.
Original post by asif007
Ask yourself this. Who's more at fault: medical students for cheating in their exams, or medical schools for creating a culture of dishonesty, cheating and political spin that are acceptable practice free from punishment and accountability?

Let’s see how well the cheaters do in April, when it’s all face to face and there is a huge discrepancy in their marks.

Op, though, will probably get broadly similar marks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending