Jaysun1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hiya, I'm in year 12 and I'm taking English language as a level. I hate it and don't understand it at all. Can someone give me some tips and tricks on answering and analysing texts or just how to become better at it as I'm really struggling and scared I won't pass.
Jaysun1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Boost, until someone answers
xandra_sky
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
check out mr bruff, thug notes and other yt resources, they make it a lot more understandable
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Don’t be scared, because you're in the lower sixth. Also, English language is very theoretical at this level, so understanding everything is not going to be a cinch just yet. I was on the verge of dropping this subject as well; however, my teachers had faith in me, and I ended up attaining the top grade.

Writing analytical essays can be difficult in the beginning. To start off, learn the language levels by memorising them (using the same techniques you would have for your GCSEs), and apply them to any text that you can find. Analysis is not necessary at this stage; just do some basic feature spotting. If you'd like, I can give you a glossary containing definitions for these key terms that might help you with this part.

When you do get to your analysis, consider GAP-C (the text's genre, audience, purpose and context). You should mainly focus on the text subject, text producer and the text receiver. I think it's wise to do one paragraph on each of these and have context entwined in every one of them. Each paragraph should contain two points. An introduction giving a few basic details about the text would also be fine (e.g. the text producer, the discourse, the intended audience, the time the text has been written etc.). If you want to give your essay more conceptual depth, you can include your opinions on the text producer's audience positioning (which you’ll be taught later in the course).

Good luck!
Last edited by Tolgash; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.03%
England (108)
34.29%
Belgium (27)
8.57%
Germany (37)
11.75%
Spain (5)
1.59%