The Student Room Group

A frank answer to the decision to enrol in university.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stumpy1001
so you would rather have a substandard education now than wait a year or two.? You could get a job , earn some money see a bit of the world (post pandemic of course) I would hardly consider that putting ones life on hold.

but i thank you for the opinion nonetheless.

jobs arent exactly easy to get atm either - a lot of pre-uni students wouldn't be able to/dont have the skillset for anything more than retail or customer service, and those arent really hiring at the moment! you also mention to others that you would _eventually_ find a job, but a lot of people dont have that as an option - they dont have the funds to be able to just do nothing whilst they wait to start uni, and whilst uni may be harder you can still get started with your original plan, work hard and get your degree despite the added challenge. some people dont have a better option. I'm starting next October (bc im not risking losing my offer and having to get it again!!) so i hope its all settled down by then - the fact that many people took a year out meant that there were far more people applying this year for fewer offers, (for my course, the offer rate went from 8% to 5%) so having a few terms online is better than giving up your spot and get rejected the year after for example. Its not your whole degree thats affected (hopefully) just the first year, and if it were 3 years then frankly id rather not wait 3 years just to complete this "stepping stone".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending