xxx0xxxo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I have a sort of Mackeeper free version app for my laptop which is supposed to flag any dodgy things on my laptop. It hasn't flagged anything weird before but recently keeps telling me there is a Spigot thing that i need to remove immediately. I have to pay to take action but i really can't so didn't do anything about it plus wasn;t sure if it was legit or not.

However two folders on my desktop now randomly have weird coded names like %*[email protected]£*(&^ and ww2w. Not sure if it's anything to do with it? I haven't done anything else unusual with my laptop lately.

What should I do about this? is it a real virus/spyware infection
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Is this the malware you're referring to? https://www.enigmasoftware.com/spigot-removal/

Are you running Windows? If so just scan with Windows Defender
xxx0xxxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Is this the malware you're referring to? https://www.enigmasoftware.com/spigot-removal/

Are you running Windows? If so just scan with Windows Defender
I'm not sure it just says 'spigot v2', maybe it is that. I'm using a Mac... most cleanup apps i've found charge to do this :/
xxx0xxxo
Rep:
?
bump..?
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Make sure your data is backed up. And you have any software license keys for non-free software.
And reformat your hard drive and do a fresh install of everything - as if it were a brand new factory fresh MacBook.
Then reinstall your required software and re-access your data.

Google for instructions. Eg Mac hard drive formatting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads