themusicgeek92
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,I am in S3 and my subject choice form for S4 needs to be submitted in 2 days. Aside from the compulsory English and Maths, the subjects I am currently studying are Spanish, French, Biology, Chemistry, Modern Studies and Music. I thought I had made my decision for S4 - Higher Music, N5 French, N5 Modern Studies and N5 Chemistry - but then I realised that I might not get an A at Higher Chemistry in S5 because people say it is a big jump from N5. And I need straight As for all my uni options. The thing is, my class is practically already doing N5 Chemistry work so I don't think I would have a problem with National 5 in S4, it's just Higher that's causing me the worry. I have a good memory so I might be better of with Biology in the long term. But some aspects of Biology don't interest me one bit, I more interested in Human Biology but that isn't a National 5 option. So what do you think of this: Do chemistry in S4 then in S5 drop Chemistry and pick up Higher Human Biology? Do you think it would be possible to get an A in Crash Higher human biology? Bear in mind I am also picking up Spanish again in S5, so it might be a LOT of revisiting and learning.
Last edited by themusicgeek92; 3 weeks ago
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What are the Nat5 and Higher requirements for your uni course?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would go with the easier option. If you think you'll do Higher Human Biology in S5, then have a look at Nat 5 Bio. A lot of people find the Nat 5 really easy, so even if you're not interested in some of the topics, it might still not be too bad.

Alternatively, if you don't need any science Highers, then don't do one. I didn't need any and yet I forced myself to crash Higher Human Bio because I wanted to appear 'versatile'. It was a pretty horrible decision by me because I didn't enjoy the course and doing it made S5 that much more stressful because I just preferred my languages and social sciences more.

P.S. If you want a really interesting subject that's also incredibly helpful in getting a high mark, then I would 100% recommend Higher RMPS. Very, very good content (most of it is common knowledge) that's not difficult whatsoever.
Last edited by Quick-use; 3 weeks ago
themusicgeek92
Rep:
?
There aren’t really any strict subject requirements just need really good grades, I would say I am more language and social subject orientated but I still do well in science and I want to keep doors open
themusicgeek92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
I would go with the easier option. If you think you'll do Higher Human Biology in S5, then have a look at Nat 5 Bio. A lot of people find the Nat 5 really easy, so even if you're not interested in some of the topics, it might still not be too bad.

Alternatively, if you don't need any science Highers, then don't do one. I didn't need any and yet I forced myself to crash Higher Human Bio because I wanted to appear 'versatile'. It was a pretty horrible decision by me because I didn't enjoy the course and doing it made S5 that much more stressful because I just preferred my languages and social sciences more.

P.S. If you want a really interesting subject that's also incredibly helpful in getting a high mark, then I would 100% recommend Higher RMPS. Very, very good content (most of it is common knowledge) that's not difficult whatsoever
Oh I’m more language and social subject orientated too! I don’t think I need a science subject but I want to keep doors open (even though my heart is telling me I won’t be doing anything science-y at uni) and I do want to seem more versatile. However you might be right. I was actually considering Higher RMPS in S6 but I didn’t think about doing it in S5, that’s a good idea too.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (26)
13.83%
Virtual campus tours/open days (43)
22.87%
Live streaming events (17)
9.04%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (18)
9.57%
A uni comparison tool (42)
22.34%
An in-person event when available (42)
22.34%