50cc or 125cc york

Watch
JoshK4444
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I've accepted an offer to study at York. I am wondering if anyone lives there, or if not just in general, should I go for a 50cc or a 125cc scooter/moped for general getting around town and to and from the university?
Thanks in advance.
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Both are underpowered the minimum should be 250cc like peoples grandparents had in this country.
JoshK4444
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
Both are underpowered the minimum should be 250cc like peoples grandparents had in this country.
thats great and all but I have a small budget and do just need it for around town
TheStupidMoon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Then it depends on your age and if there's any difference from insurance.
I can't think of any other reason to get a 50cc instead a 125cc unless you have a car licence which means you get the 50cc AM licence with 1 CBT course instead of having to do it every 2 years unless you pass a motorbike test*.
An electric pushbike might be good enough for you if you don't mind being stuck at 15 MPH without pedaling faster.

* In other EU countries they get a motorbike licence with a car licence.
JoshK4444
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
Then it depends on your age and if there's any difference from insurance.
I can't think of any other reason to get a 50cc instead a 125cc unless you have a car licence which means you get the 50cc AM licence with 1 CBT course instead of having to do it every 2 years unless you pass a motorbike test*.
An electric pushbike might be good enough for you if you don't mind being stuck at 15 MPH without pedaling faster.

* In other EU countries they get a motorbike licence with a car licence.
ah ok thank you, I'm 18 dont have a drivers license due to COVID and now my financial situation wouldnt be able to manage getting one
Dee-Emma
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JoshK4444)
I've accepted an offer to study at York. I am wondering if anyone lives there, or if not just in general, should I go for a 50cc or a 125cc scooter/moped for general getting around town and to and from the university?
Thanks in advance.
Depends where you're living, but powered vehicles are not very helpful in a small city. Walking and cycling will be a lot less hassle.
JoshK4444
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dee-Emma)
Depends where you're living, but powered vehicles are not very helpful in a small city. Walking and cycling will be a lot less hassle.
Yeah true, I'm living with my partner though, abput a 20 minute commute by vehicle to the university im attending so I thought itd be a lot quicker?
Im not sure very new to this all.
Dee-Emma
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah true, I'm living with my partner though, abput a 20 minute commute by vehicle to the university im attending so I thought itd be a lot quicker?
Im not sure very new to this all.
What's a 20 minute commute? Outside the city on A roads, that might be 20 miles. For A roads a 125 would be the smallest engine size to keep up with the traffic (50cc on A roads are unsafe and frightening - especially with HGVs). But 20 minutes across a city by car at rush hour could be a couple of miles, and cycling or walking would be as quick.
JoshK4444
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dee-Emma)
What's a 20 minute commute? Outside the city on A roads, that might be 20 miles. For A roads a 125 would be the smallest engine size to keep up with the traffic (50cc on A roads are unsafe and frightening - especially with HGVs). But 20 minutes across a city by car at rush hour could be a couple of miles, and cycling or walking would be as quick.
20 min commute in the city kind off. more side and back roads no main ones.
666aaron
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
JoshK4444
Rep:
?
(Original post by 666aaron)
i dont get you?
666aaron
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i dont get you?
300cc dim wit
JoshK4444
Rep:
?
(Original post by 666aaron)
300cc dim wit
Well "dim wit" if you bothered to read above I've covered why I am not going above the 2 I've asked about, thanks for the reply though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads