The Student Room Group

Can't find a job during this lockdown...any suggestions?

Any tips on finding a job - I have applied for many places but seem to be losing hope not getting many replies. I graduated from university with a first and now can't even get a job, I even have experience. Any suggestions on where to apply? I am based in London.
Original post by 2packsupmyahh
Any tips on finding a job - I have applied for many places but seem to be losing hope not getting many replies. I graduated from university with a first and now can't even get a job, I even have experience. Any suggestions on where to apply? I am based in London.

Hi! @2packsupmyahh

Have you tried any jobcentres?
They offer you advice and tips regarding your CV, interview techniques etc. Also, some companies will hand their job advertisements to them and then the jobcentre will recommend you to them. They will try and match what you have on your CV to an appropriate job.
I personally found them extremely helpful and a couple of people I know found this too.

Or, have you contacted your previous uni? They should have a careers centre to offer you some advice. If not maybe ask your old tutor or a lecturer that you got on well with, as they might have some specific advice for you.

I hope this is helpful and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep:smile:
Babysitting
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi! @2packsupmyahh

Have you tried any jobcentres?
They offer you advice and tips regarding your CV, interview techniques etc. Also, some companies will hand their job advertisements to them and then the jobcentre will recommend you to them. They will try and match what you have on your CV to an appropriate job.
I personally found them extremely helpful and a couple of people I know found this too.

Or, have you contacted your previous uni? They should have a careers centre to offer you some advice. If not maybe ask your old tutor or a lecturer that you got on well with, as they might have some specific advice for you.

I hope this is helpful and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep:smile:

Thank you for the quick reply. I will contact the job centre as a last resort, but the idea of contacting the uni careers advice is good. Thanks again!
Use the Uni careers service to go through your CV. Are you on Universal credit?

See loads of warehouse postions, though depending where you stay, transport can be an issue? Retail as well?

Have you applied to any graduate schemes?
Not on universal credit. Have been trying for warehouses but its extremely competitive since the lack of jobs, as for graduate schemes I have held off since I slightly compare them to sandwich placements - both are extremely competitive (more than actual job positions), so i thought going for an actual job would give myself more of an opportunity to land a position.
Not on universal credit. Have been trying for warehouses but its extremely competitive since the lack of jobs, as for graduate schemes I have held off since I slightly compare them to sandwich placements - both are extremely competitive (more than actual job positions), so i thought going for an actual job would give myself more of an opportunity to land a position.

Most warehouse positions are advertised through agencies, yes the graduate schemes are competitive, worth applying though. How are you not on UC?
have you tried contacting recruitment agencies? they will probably just call you to ask what kind of jobs you're looking for
amazon ?? pay 10.80 and 12.70 for nights its good

I make 950 before tax a week (6 days)
Original post by Kinghhfduj
amazon ?? pay 10.80 and 12.70 for nights its good

I make 950 before tax a week (6 days)

I was looking at Amazon but as I dont have a car not easy and too far time wise to get to. What is it like working there?
I've found quite an easy way of making a bit of money (not enough for a living mind) is online tutoring. There are loads of companies like My tutor that take on graduates to tutor GCSE and A level and you can make like £20 an hour and its pretty easy if you tutor in your subject. I tutor A level bio and just use my old revision guide to refresh my memory and make like £50 a week from tutoring 3 people.
Also teach first is ALWAYS hiring. Even if you're not that interested in teaching. My housemate is currently working through teach first but is just doing it for the rest of the year until he finds another job in a different field.
Original post by route255
I was looking at Amazon but as I dont have a car not easy and too far time wise to get to. What is it like working there?

I like the money and the work but no offence there are Europeans that will make the work place a terrible place for u but guess what I didntbcare about them and they do this purposely so that u leave and another European comes in.

Try supermarkets. They seem to be taking on at the moment.
Also carry on trying with warehouses. There are a lot around and quite a few have been taking on.
I know these aren't related to your degree but it's better than nothing until you get something better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending