Tinted windscreen, how much trouble could I get in?

Watch
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Perhaps removing the tints would stop the “accidental speeding” and “not sure if I hit another car” incidents.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
Perhaps removing the tints would stop the “accidental speeding” and “not sure if I hit another car” incidents.
Need to take the illegal tint off the speedo too :rolleyes:
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Need to take the illegal tint off the speedo too :rolleyes:
“Cops can’t pull me for applying the tint to my driving glasses.”

*taps head*
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nadim Chowdhury)
But if I was driving on the roads and there's no streetlights I'd be able to see headlights of cars and not crash
What about pedestrians in dark clothing? You need to be able to see as much as possible.
username2301217
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
What about pedestrians in dark clothing? You need to be able to see as much as possible.
If they're in front of me I'll most likely see them unless they're hidden behind the a pillar. If they're behind me then maybe not. But that's what makes no sense to me. The rear windows can be as dark as I want. I could even paint it black if I want to
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No. You couldn’t.
username2301217
Rep:
?
No. You couldn’t.
Wdym?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If they're in front of me I'll most likely see them unless they're hidden behind the a pillar. If they're behind me then maybe not. But that's what makes no sense to me. The rear windows can be as dark as I want. I could even paint it black if I want to
When a life is at stake, "likely" doesn't cut it.
username2301217
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
When a life is at stake, "likely" doesn't cut it.
I do take care with this blind spot, only once have I not seen someone, but I was paying attention and braked as soon as I saw him
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do take care with this blind spot, only once have I not seen someone, but I was paying attention and braked as soon as I saw him
Please stop driving.
Bumble18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yh I'm very unsure about what to do because I do like it and paid quite a bit for it (Got a chameleon colour) but it is illegal
Get chameleon colour but a legal version?? If you knew it was illegal then why did you get it?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A scan of Nadim’s previous threads in Cars & Motoring will reveal the answer. He is a menace.
username2301217
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bumble18)
Get chameleon colour but a legal version?? If you knew it was illegal then why did you get it?
I don't know if it's legal or not? It should allow 75% of light through according to the law but the police didn't get the chance to check. The tint man told me its legal and he's not had any customers having any issues. But then again the tint man is running his business, so it's in his interest to get it tinted. What confuses me even more is I've seen some of his customer's cars driving about with tinted windshields and they seem ok?
username2301217
Rep:
?
A scan of Nadim’s previous threads in Cars & Motoring will reveal the answer. He is a menace.
I've figured out why insurance companies insist on young drivers with black boxes, cos I drive like a hooligan (sometimes) without one!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
OP, you have only two options:

1) Take off the tints and you won't get pulled for having limited visibility.

2) Don't take off the tints and run the risk of getting pulled for having limited visibility. Irrespective of whether the police keep it on file, the next patrol car that pulls you may not give you the option.

Your choice. Simples.
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It looks better with the purpley blue tint than regular glass. But I do agree I think I should remove it for peace of mind

When it's dark I don't struggle to see. Only when it's pitch black (no streetlights) I struggle seeing out the back of the car but it's not much of an issue anymore cos I got LED reverse light bulbs. But if I was driving on the roads and there's no streetlights I'd be able to see headlights of cars and not crash
And you'd see the headlights of the kid in a black hoody running across the road too? You're an actual fool.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wrote the context in the first paragraph, to explain what happened. Got questions in the end. Thank you!

So was in traffic in kings cross, London. I spotted a BMW 5 series estate which was parked on the side of the road facing the main road. My gut instinct was that it is a undercover police car. Drove past them and then they joined the road. They then went through the bus lane (not allowed it's a 24/7 bus lane, but they're police so it's fine) and switched lanes to go behind me. After about 30 seconds they switched on the blue lights and gave me a toot of the siren. I went into the bus lane and pulled over. They went behind me so I knew it's for me. Officer got out and told me my windscreen tint is illegal and I could potentially recieve a fine and 3 points. I decided to play dumb in an effort to get a bit of sympathy and get away with it basically. I told them that the tint man told me its legal. He said unfortunately he sold me down the river. This wasted time. Then a lorry wanted to leave a building site and was getting annoyed cos we were blocking the exit. So the police told me to go on my way and take off the tint ASAP.

Could I get in trouble for this traffic stop, can i recieve a letter? They gave me no paperwork. Will it stay on their systems so if I get pulled over again the officer will know that I was pulled over on the 4th February for illegally tinted windscreen? Also if I was stopped again, could I avoid a fine and points by taking off the tint at the roadside?
Take the ****ing tint off.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd use some harsher words but that'll do...
boblishman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Speaking of speeding I found a great way to avoid average speed cameras on roads I know well, speed until about a quarter of a mile before the speed camera and tailgate a lorry going through. Done it once a few weeks ago and never heard a thing
Are you a wind-up merchant or just a complete moron?

Get off the roads.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by boblishman)
Are you a wind-up merchant or just a complete moron?
This previous thread might tip your thoughts either way and is essential reading regardless.

Driving downhill
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.26%
Virtual campus tours/open days (120)
23.35%
Live streaming events (46)
8.95%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (50)
9.73%
A uni comparison tool (120)
23.35%
An in-person event when available (115)
22.37%