The Student Room Group

Is cancer the worst thing you can have?

title

Scroll to see replies

nah u can have aids which kills ya

you can have many torturing things
Maybe. Something that I think might be worse is feeling the need to commit suicide. It's scary that there comes a point in time where things are so bad that you want to kill yourself. It's like you're permanently trapped in a prison being tortured everyday that you can't escape from. It's horrifying when you really think about it.
I think there are worse diseases, such as Motor Neuron Disease. It was heartbreaking watching my grandma slowly die from that. She could no longer speak or move her body in the last few months of her life.
It's hardly a competition...
It isn't THE worst thing you could have, there are many other things which kill you slower, and make you loose your ability to do certain activities such as dementia and motor neurone disease. But I wouldn't wish having cancer on anyone as it isn't nice and can really drain you
Original post by ReviseSleeping
It isn't THE worst thing you could have, there are many other things which kill you slower, and make you loose your ability to do certain activities such as dementia and motor neurone disease. But I wouldn't wish having cancer on anyone as it isn't nice and can really drain you

Exactly. Obviously all terminal/chronic diseases are upsetting and traumatic, both for person with the disease, and their loved ones. It's just a matter of personal opinion on what you would find more horrific to deal with.
I’d argue it’s one of the worst, my gramps
Died of cancer, was given 4 months to live, ended up only living 4 more weeks, was heartbreaking watching him slowly deteriorate and eventually he was diagnosed with depression too so when we went to visit he couldn’t even look at us by the end of it.
Not all cancers are born equal anyway. I am sure my grandad would have preferred testicular cancer, as opposed to what he was diagnosed with- pancreatic.

Why would you even want to pit different diseases against each other anyway?

Its quite interesting actually in 2018 the UKs largest heart disease charity, BHF had an income of 338 million. In 2019, the largest cancer charity had an income of 634 million.

160,000 deaths per year are caused by heart disease vs. 166,000 deaths per year are caused by cancer.
(edited 3 years ago)
Short answer: no it is not
Reply 10
Not in my opinion, it’s still terrifying though. I think the worst part is how common it is. Diseases that get progressively worse are probably even scarier, knowing there’s no possibility of recovery and each day will be worse. I’d say the worst in my opinion is dementia.
one of the worst up there with endometriosis and autism
A nagging wife is far worse imo
diarrhoea can be a pain in the arse
Original post by iFlops
Not in my opinion, it’s still terrifying though. I think the worst part is how common it is. Diseases that get progressively worse are probably even scarier, knowing there’s no possibility of recovery and each day will be worse. I’d say the worst in my opinion is dementia.

I dunno. My grandma has dementia and I would say it's worse for us watching her deteriorate, forgetting who we are and losing her ability to live independently. However, for her, she seems quite happy because she doesn't realize she's forgotten her family and doesn't remember one day to the next.
I've had this conversation a few times over the years with friends fighting cancer.
Arguably some diseases & painful chronic conditions that are either incurable or could be considered worse than cancer.
Aids, cystic fibrosis, ehlers danlos syndromes, heart failure, huntington's disease, infantile tay sachs disease, MDDS, motor neuron disease, multiple organ failure, schizophrenia.
Reply 16
Original post by Sabertooth
I dunno. My grandma has dementia and I would say it's worse for us watching her deteriorate, forgetting who we are and losing her ability to live independently. However, for her, she seems quite happy because she doesn't realize she's forgotten her family and doesn't remember one day to the next.

oh that's a good point. I imagined the horror of finding out you have it, that would make everyday scary and full of unknown especially at the start. When it gets really bad, I guess you live in a blissful ignorance? Either way, I'm sorry you have to go through that. I went through a similar thing with my grandma, and it is sad to see.
I think it's unhelpful to quantify suffering tbh.
A significant minority of sufferers caught HIV in the 80's as a result of receiving contaminated blood transfusions. Infant's also can contract HIV off their mother's.

It's not always a result of being sexually irresponsible.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by tinygirl96
one of the worst up there with endometriosis and autism

Autism is not inherently bad. Many people find it a gift. I'd say it's a neutral thing - just a descriptor. Whether or not the traits are good or bad, depends on environment, and whether you have other conditons (e.g. chronic illnesses, intellectual disabilty).

Quick Reply

Latest