The Student Room Group

Would I be able to do my Master's at a different uni?

Hi :smile:
So with the current A-Levels I'm taking, Im unable to go into Astrophysics as they both require Maths and Physics a-level. I was looking at foundation years and I found that Aberystwyth University is holding a 4 year Astrophysics course that starts with a foundation year.
I want to progress onto a Master's after my bachelor's.
Would I be able to apply to Manchester (or even somewhere closer) to do a master's?
I just don't like the idea of being so far from home :/
Reply 1
Yeah definitely! It's really common to go to a different university for your Masters. I stayed at the same university for mine but about half of the people on my course did their undergraduate degrees at different universities.
IMO you could think about doing Physics with foundation year at a uni that's closer to home - see if you can find a course with a some interesting looking astro modules and/or a student astro society... I'm pretty certain most people going on to astrophysics MSc will have done physics rather than astrophysics at BSc just because it's so much more common.

Afaik Astrophysics BScs made up of most of the same modules as the Physics course at the same uni

Also you're thinking about spending 4 years at a uni distant to home and then spending 1 year close to home which seems the wrong way round... after 4 years from home the reasons why you wanted to stay close to home will probably be less strong.
Also I don't think it's very common but one chap did a foundation at one uni and transferred to another for BSc a few years ago

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6910352

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending