The Student Room Group

University of Oxford A100 2022 Entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for University of Oxford A100.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about Oxford. :biggrin:

Welcome to the University of Oxford A100 2022 Entry Discussion.

Oxford A100 2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560786

For general information click: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/medicine

For entry requirements click: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/medicine#content-tab--3

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone!

I want to apply to Oxford to study medicine for 2022 entry. I take 4 A levels in bio, chem, maths and physics and so far doing really well with 4 A*s targeted, and have achieved A* grades in 90% of topic tests.

The issue are my GCSE results, I took IGCSE and didn’t do them in the UK. I obtained 3A*s 4As 1B and 1C(English literature) and I know this will affect my chances of getting shortlisted. I have in fact began UCAT and BMAT preparation.

In theory if I manage to do really well in the BMAT and sent a really well written personal statement to any university really, will I get a chance of being shortlisted (for oxford)? Or i suppose are there any tips perhaps to improve my application starting now?

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by chickenprofs
Hello everyone!

I want to apply to Oxford to study medicine for 2022 entry. I take 4 A levels in bio, chem, maths and physics and so far doing really well with 4 A*s targeted, and have achieved A* grades in 90% of topic tests.

The issue are my GCSE results, I took IGCSE and didn’t do them in the UK. I obtained 3A*s 4As 1B and 1C(English literature) and I know this will affect my chances of getting shortlisted. I have in fact began UCAT and BMAT preparation.

In theory if I manage to do really well in the BMAT and sent a really well written personal statement to any university really, will I get a chance of being shortlisted (for oxford)? Or i suppose are there any tips perhaps to improve my application starting now?

Thanks

No, Oxford is really GCSE-heavy so unless you have exceptional circumstances then 3 A*s isn't going to cut it I'm afraid.

Have you read: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics ?

The Oxford med applicant has an average 8.2 A*s; and the average Oxford med offer holder has 10.2 A*s.

^^ Graph showing that most people with even with 7 A*s get rejected.

(edited 3 years ago)
Yes, I've seen the graph thanks. But what about those who didn't take GCSE/IGCSEs? The Oxford webpage states they will be shortlisted entirely based on the BMAT and their personal statement alone, so it isn't the end of the world for them either.

There is another graph for the BMAT as well. It shows that even a small percentage of those who obtained 65-70 (way above average) in the BMAT were not shortlisted for interview, but all those who scored 70+ did. So I suppose if I did amazingly well in the BMAT and wrote a personal statement that impressed and made the tutors enjoy reading, I will have a chance of being shortlisted.

Do you think so?
Reply 4
Yes, I've seen the graph thanks. But what about those who didn't take GCSE/IGCSEs? The Oxford webpage states they will be shortlisted entirely based on the BMAT and their personal statement alone, so it isn't the end of the world for them either.

There is another graph for the BMAT as well. It shows that even a small percentage of those who obtained 65-70 (way above average) in the BMAT were not shortlisted for interview, but all those who scored 70+ did. So I suppose if I did amazingly well in the BMAT and wrote a personal statement that impressed and made the tutors enjoy reading, I will have a chance of being shortlisted.

Do you think so?

But you did take the iGCSE didn't you? You can't lie and say you didn't take it?

Also, it's much easier said than done to "do amazingly well in the BMAT". Especially because Oxford A100 does not accept the early BMAT so you'd have to apply "blind".

Yes of course! Wasn't intending to state that I did not take gcses on my UCAS application; I was talking about those who didn't take them but instead sat an equivalent exam from their own national curriculum and still applied to Oxford (it is not uncommon).

Yes I am aware. Oxford requires the BMAT to be taken in November as opposed to the September tests.
Did you apply to either Oxford or Cambridge?
Reply 6
Yes of course! Wasn't intending to state that I did not take gcses on my UCAS application; I was talking about those who didn't take them but instead sat an equivalent exam from their own national curriculum and still applied to Oxford (it is not uncommon).

Oh yes sure, in that case they can do whatever Oxford stated. I just thought from the way you worded it that you're asking for yourself... why would you talk about other people?

Yes I am aware. Oxford requires the BMAT to be taken in November as opposed to the September tests. Did you apply to either Oxford or Cambridge?

Nope, I didn't

Well because they will be in a situation where their chances of being shortlisted is fully dependent on their BMAT results, personal statement, predicted a levels/IB and teacher recommendations alone. And seeing that my GCSE grades aren't ideal, I suppose it will be a sort of similar situation. Sorry if I phrased it wrongly.

Where abouts did you go?
Reply 8
Well because they will be in a situation where their chances of being shortlisted is fully dependent on their BMAT results, personal statement, predicted a levels/IB and teacher recommendations alone. And seeing that my GCSE grades aren't ideal, I suppose it will be a sort of similar situation. Sorry if I phrased it wrongly.

For other people who didn't take the GCSEs / iGCSEs that may be the case yes. But for you, you have already done it so there's nothing you can do now.

Where abouts did you go?

I would prefer to keep that private.

Reply 9
hi guys i might be reapplying during a gap year to oxford next year. basically in year 12 i was going to sit additonal gcse exams like statistics and MFL because my school didn't offer them i didn't know i could do them privately in year 11. but because of the covid situation i couldnt so i'm planning on sitting it this year and theoretically have more a*s for gcses when i reapply. Do you think they would disgard these additional qualifications? I do take alevel maths
Original post by Sun.h
hi guys i might be reapplying during a gap year to oxford next year. basically in year 12 i was going to sit additonal gcse exams like statistics and MFL because my school didn't offer them i didn't know i could do them privately in year 11. but because of the covid situation i couldnt so i'm planning on sitting it this year and theoretically have more a*s for gcses when i reapply. Do you think they would disgard these additional qualifications? I do take alevel maths

Reapplying? Have you applied this year to medical school? Do you hold any offers?

And what about your GCSEs, did you get any GCSEs at all?

Reply 11
Yes i did apply but sadly got rejected from most and haven’t back from one at all. I am an international student but studied in england for gcses and i got 8 9s and a 7 in english lang so the extra gcses i want to take would boost my application!?
Original post by Sun.h
Yes i did apply but sadly got rejected from most and haven’t back from one at all. I am an international student but studied in england for gcses and i got 8 9s and a 7 in english lang so the extra gcses i want to take would boost my application!?

I would have a look at UCAS Extra / Clearing for medical school starting in 2021 to see if you can "save a year": https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6915438

8 A*s is slightly less than the average for Oxford med.

Reply 13
yes clearing is an option but I’m happy to take a gap year for personal reasons and so i think reapplying may not be a bad idea atm. 8a*s is slightly less for ppl who got offers and that’s why i was wondering if sitting additional gcses (that i planned to do earlier and gor delayed due to covid) be counted during the selection process
Original post by Sun.h
yes clearing is an option but I’m happy to take a gap year for personal reasons and so i think reapplying may not be a bad idea atm. 8a*s is slightly less for ppl who got offers and that’s why i was wondering if sitting additional gcses (that i planned to do earlier and gor delayed due to covid) be counted during the selection process

It's slightly less than people who applied. This year the Oxford med applicant has an average of 8.2 A*s - last year it was 8.5 A*s.

For offer holders, the number of A*s is 10.2 this year and 10.8 last year.

Reply 15
Yes so if i sit additional gcses this year would that be counted? The reasons for that i have stated previously
Reply 16
Hi

I actually had 8.5 a*s i forgot about one!
Original post by Sun.h
Yes so if i sit additional gcses this year would that be counted? The reasons for that i have stated previously

Original post by Sun.h
Hi

I actually had 8.5 a*s i forgot about one!

I think you'd be OK with GCSE resits but @GANFYD will know for sure.

Are you an international student? If so I would discourage you from applying to Oxford even with 9 Grade 8 / 9s as their application-to-offer ratio is > 70 to 1.

Reply 18
I am not sure Oxford give a clear answer about GCSE resits, although they do say they treat each application individually and any reasons for resits must be clearly marked in the school reference.
This is not resits though, but extra exams, I think. Oxford generally say that it is the ability to deal with the workload entailed in one sitting that they are looking for, so they may not consider sepearately sat GCSEs in the total. I think it would involve a call to ask (and please let us know the response). If your school would not let you sit more than 8.5 GCSEs in one sitting, then it is likely a less well performing school and so results would be contextualised, so results would be treated slightly differently than a top performing school
i emailed them a while ago and asked:
Dear the Admissions team,

I only have 9a* grades out of 10 GCSEs and which is below the average of 10a* at GCSE. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to sit extra GCSEs while doing my A levels this year and if they would count towards my score for GCSEs or if they only count if they're sat in the same year?

they said:

Thanks for your emails. You are welcome to take extra GCSEs in order to try and acquire more A*s; however, you must declare all original scores on the UCAS form alongside the new scores (including if you re-sit the GCSE in which you did not originally get an A*). You should also make sure that taking further GCSEs at the same time as A-level study does not jeopardise your ability to achieve A*AA in your A-levels since, if you were to be made an offer, it would always be for A*AA, never anything else.

I hope this helps!

so im guessing they would count towards the algorithm

i also emailed them asking about the bmat score id have needed to get an interview this year (with only 9a*s) and they said id need 70+ on their weighted scale which is like 6.6 6.6 3A (or an average s1+s2 score of 6.6 with 3a in the essay). surprisingly its not that much above the average of interviewed applicants, which was 68, but its still rly high
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending