The Student Room Group

A level OCR or AQA??

Hey guys, I am planning to do A level Biology, chemistry and maths studying them on my own, but I don't know which exam board is gonna be easier. Which one did you choose? Reasons? And which textbooks would you recommend? Thanks!!!
Reply 1
Hello as to your answer I'm not sure which one harder because most of modules in the spec have an over lap. I think it is OCR. For OCR textbooks get their endorsed version of it which is on their website because they have literally got EVERYTHING that you need for the exam and they've got lots of synoptic links too which means that when you learn one of first topics in the book you may not understand some of the info but thats OKAY because thats just preparing u to understand for the future topics and its connecting you to it :smile:
Reply 2
If you're looking for a balance in the price and quality wise then I'd suggest you'd buy the CGP version or the textbook because I've heard that it's very good and unlike the endorsed ocr version of the textbook this one goes straight to the point with very little or no synoptic links. By the way before buying them check the exam board your school is doing for a levels so that you dont end up buying the wrong one. Like I said, both exam boards have a huge overlap in their spec but some of the info might be irrelevant for one another and some the just go into too much detail.
Please, whatever you do, pick AQA.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Soooyaa
Hello as to your answer I'm not sure which one harder because most of modules in the spec have an over lap. I think it is OCR. For OCR textbooks get their endorsed version of it which is on their website because they have literally got EVERYTHING that you need for the exam and they've got lots of synoptic links too which means that when you learn one of first topics in the book you may not understand some of the info but thats OKAY because thats just preparing u to understand for the future topics and its connecting you to it :smile:

I though OCR looked easier haha 🤦*♀️🤦*♀️
I'll have a look on the websites for the books and info 😁 Thanks so much!!!
Reply 5
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Please, whatever you do, pick AQA.

Why is that?? I am a bit scared of the essay part in the biology exam.. that's why I was thinking about taking the OCR 😅😅
Original post by llavador96
Why is that?? I am a bit scared of the essay part in the biology exam.. that's why I was thinking about taking the OCR 😅😅

OCR A is hell. You really need to know content inside out, there’s no room for memorising. AQA Questions seem more straight forward (I did a lot of past papers from there, they barely require much thought)
Reply 7
Original post by CaptainDuckie
OCR A is hell. You really need to know content inside out, there’s no room for memorising. AQA Questions seem more straight forward (I did a lot of past papers from there, they barely require much thought)

Would you recommend AQA for the all Biology, chemistry and maths then? I'm stressing out already and I haven't start yet 😂😂 hahah I'm gonna be teaching myself all that so I wanna make a good choice
Original post by llavador96
Would you recommend AQA for the all Biology, chemistry and maths then? I'm stressing out already and I haven't start yet 😂😂 hahah I'm gonna be teaching myself all that so I wanna make a good choice

AQA Biology, Chemistry

Then probably AQA maths too (I’ve only done edexcel so I can’t say/ differentiate between the two)

Quick Reply

Latest