melinda82
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi, I have been approved for a DSA of £1018 from SFE for equipment including computer, printer / scanner, insurance, delivery and assistive software (Text help Read and Write). I contribute £200 for the computer.After looking over it I just don't think I would benefit from the assistive software or a printer/scanner. My main reason for applying for a DSA was to get a mentor to help me cope with the workload, which I have also got approved. I don't really want all the equipment, the only thing I need is the computer. Am I required to get everything that has been recommended to me? I've seen that the computer that has been recommended are terrible so would I be able to spend more / the whole £1018 + my £200 on a decent computer from a retailer like Currys or somewhere and not get the software and printer from the supplier that they've recommended? I have emailed SFE but could take 10 working days for them to reply so thought someone here might know. Thank you
Last edited by melinda82; 8 months ago
Lovesick
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The computer recommended is only recommended so that you can run any assistive technology software so, no, you can't have the laptop without the software.

If you don't want the equipment, don't order it. Just let your study needs assessor know that you won't be taking it. Not taking the recommended equipment doesn't mean that you can have £1018 to spend on a higher spec computer. You can, however, contact the DSA team about upgrading on the recommended laptop. You would pay the £200 + any additional costs incurred. SFE will only pay to the supplier the agreed price of the laptop - your £200 contribution. EG, agreed laptop £350 - you pay £200 and SFE pay £150. Upgraded laptop costing £500 - SFE pay £150 and you pay the rest. I believe you need SFE's permission to upgrade, though. You will need to follow their instructions in your entitlement notice.

You can't just have a laptop, upgraded or not, without the assistve tech software. Every student will need a laptop/computer of some kind so that is not an additional need because of your disability.
Studentystudent!
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I chose to upgrade and paid a couple hundred more pounds for a better laptop. They probably paid for half of it. What software have you been given? I use some of mine so I can tell you about it if we have the same software. If you don’t mind me asking why did you get a DSA? Workload issues won’t cover it, so you probably have the tech and software for something more specific. Also it never hurts to have a spare, free printer lying around.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'd recommend you take the software and the printer/scanner (I had that piece of software you mentioned at university, and I still use it even now, plus some other software they gave me), they're pretty useful when you're at university. If you don't like the software, don't use it, but it was given to you for a reason. See if you can incorperate it into your work flow or not. Free printers are a good shout too. Again, I still use mine!

As another user has said (Lovesick) you won't get the money if you choose not to have the items. That's just not how DSA works.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (215)
56.43%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.12%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (44)
11.55%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.66%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
6.04%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.2%

Watched Threads