The Student Room Group

Gcse revision help

i am currently in year 10 and despise studying both English language and Literature ,but my aspiration degree/job (Dentistry) requires a 7 in either one of the two , any tips on how to achieve that grade in over 1.5years?
INFO: My exam board is Edexcel
we're doing inspector calls ,and in terms of poetry we are doing Conflict
My predicted grade for both of them is a 6
Original post by TrishaChou1
i am currently in year 10 and despise studying both English language and Literature ,but my aspiration degree/job (Dentistry) requires a 7 in either one of the two , any tips on how to achieve that grade in over 1.5years?

I completely understand you, English is just that one subject that I don't like either. What I'd definitely advise you to do, though, is create small flashcards with quotes you need to remember for English Literature - I really regret not doing that earlier. The analysis will come naturally after you keep repeating it. I can't really say anything for English Language because I didn't sit the exam but I think remembering an acrostic for the key things to include in the creative writing would be useful (eg with Rhetorical question, Rule of three, Metaphor, Semantic Field, etc, so you'll be able to recall the techniques during the exam)
Original post by aiwiloistyping
I completely understand you, English is just that one subject that I don't like either. What I'd definitely advise you to do, though, is create small flashcards with quotes you need to remember for English Literature - I really regret not doing that earlier. The analysis will come naturally after you keep repeating it. I can't really say anything for English Language because I didn't sit the exam but I think remembering an acrostic for the key things to include in the creative writing would be useful (eg with Rhetorical question, Rule of three, Metaphor, Semantic Field, etc, so you'll be able to recall the techniques during the exam)

Thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely look into this when revising for English .
Reply 3

Hi, my teacher graded my work as a 5/6 about January Year 10 and I did AQA (I am not sure how different it would be).

English Literature

To improve, honestly I know this sounds cliche, I found online essay questions and practiced writing them, You don’t have to start in timed conditions but I suggest you eventually start doing it. If you find you have too much work, maybe do essay plans, With this, you should get a better understanding of the text and if you are struggling to answer the essay question, you can find ideas online. You can also watch Mr Bruff, Mr Salles, Stacy Reays and many more in YouTube you get analysis ideas. I think it’s important you get more than one interpretation for any quotes you plan to use because I think examiners like that and also remember to use context but do not throw it in just for the sake of context make sure it helps your point. e.g. Priestley presents Mr Birling as a capitalist through his dialogue. He describes the Titanic as ‘Absolutely unsinkable’ (not sure of the exact quote). The audience who are watching in 1946? are aware the Titanic sank as a result of the hubris of those who are in charge of it and foreshadows the eventual sinking and downfall of Mr Birling and his Capitalist ideology (sorry not the best point - it been two years! :smile:)

English Language

If you are finding it a little to difficult to think up techniques you can find lists on the internet. Make sure when analysis techniques to mention the effect on the reader. For example, in a language passage, there maybe a sentence which is really long with many commas. You could say The writer (it best to name the writer) uses sentence form to increase the pace of the text, When the sentence is ready the breaks created by the commas makes the reader breathless hence increases the tension??? (Sorry again it has been two years!). Also, remember sentence length (i.e. short or long) relates to structure sentence form (simple, complex) relates to language so question 2 in the language paper. You can use these to come up with points for language and structure.

Advice

For both language and literature, use topic sentences to focus your answers e.g. if the question is about how Sheila changes throughout the play you can say, PRIESTLEY (just wanted to emphasise the use writer’s name :smile:) presents Sheila as becoming increasingly distance to her mother as the play progressed through NOUNS (remember to be woe Idid when talking about language especially in the language paper. Instead of saying ‘words’ but ‘noun’, ‘verb’ or ‘adverb’ etc). What I am trying to say is, be SPECIFIC (just wanted to emphasis with :smile: )Initially, in the play she uses the noun ‘mummy’ which is child like and affectionate which makes the reader understand she is fond and loving of her mother (shows effect on reader). The soft ‘m’ sounds emphasises this This is also one of the techniques with multiple interpret notation.However, towards the end of the play (I don’t remember exactly what bit), she uses the noun ‘mother’ which is a lot more distance and the ‘th’ sounds makes it sound more harsh than ‘mummy’ showing THE READER Sheila is trying to distance herself from her mother (end of example - again, not the best!) As you can see for ‘mummy’ quotes use more than one technique so I suggest you mention more than one technique e.g. ‘fire, blood and anguish’ is an example of rule of three but be sure to also analysis it’s allusions to hell.

Additionally, remember to say ‘poet’ when talking about a poet and ‘author’ when talking about Priestley etc. (I hope this helps, If you want more clarification, I will be happy to reply! Do a lot of papers and ask your teacher to make them is possible. Perhaps a friend might like to help too!

I hope this is useful! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
This is a tip, use flashcards.
Original post by Pravi29
Hi, my teacher graded my work as a 5/6 about January 2010 and I did AQA (I am not sure how different it would be).

English Literature

To improve, honestly I know this sounds cliche, I found online essay questions and practiced writing them, You don’t have to start in timed conditions but I suggest you eventually start doing it. If you find you have too much work, maybe do essay plans, With this, you should get a better understanding of the text and if you are struggling to answer the essay question, you can find ideas online. You can also watch Mr Bruff, Mr Salles, Stacy Reays and many more in YouTube you get analysis ideas. I think it’s important you get more than one interpretation for any quotes you plan to use because I think examiners like that and also remember to use context but do not throw it in just for the sake of context make sure it helps your point. e.g. Priestley presents Mr Birling as a capitalist through his dialogue. He describes the Titanic as ‘Absolutely unsinkable’ (not sure of the exact quote). The audience who are watching in 1946? are aware the Titanic sank as a result of the hubris of those who are in charge of it and foreshadows the eventual sinking and downfall of Mr Birling and his Capitalist ideology (sorry not the best point - it been two years! :smile:)

English Language

If you are finding it a little to difficult to think up techniques you can find lists on the internet. Make sure when analysis techniques to mention the effect on the reader. For example, in a language passage, there maybe a sentence which is really long with many commas. You could say The writer (it best to name the writer) uses sentence form to increase the pace of the text, When the sentence is ready the breaks created by the commas makes the reader breathless hence increases the tension??? (Sorry again it has been two years!). Also, remember sentence length (i.e. short or long) relates to structure sentence form (simple, complex) relates to language so question 2 in the language paper. You can use these to come up with points for language and structure.

Advice

For both language and literature, use topic sentences to focus your answers e.g. if the question is about how Sheila changes throughout the play you can say, PRIESTLEY (just wanted to emphasise the use writer’s name :smile:) presents Sheila as becoming increasingly distance to her mother as the play progressed through NOUNS (remember to be woe Idid when talking about language especially in the language paper. Instead of saying ‘words’ but ‘noun’, ‘verb’ or ‘adverb’ etc). What I am trying to say is, be SPECIFIC (just wanted to emphasis with :smile: )Initially, in the play she uses the noun ‘mummy’ which is child like and affectionate which makes the reader understand she is fond and loving of her mother (shows effect on reader). The soft ‘m’ sounds emphasises this This is also one of the techniques with multiple interpret notation.However, towards the end of the play (I don’t remember exactly what bit), she uses the noun ‘mother’ which is a lot more distance and the ‘th’ sounds makes it sound more harsh than ‘mummy’ showing THE READER Sheila is trying to distance herself from her mother (end of example - again, not the best!) As you can see for ‘mummy’ quotes use more than one technique so I suggest you mention more than one technique e.g. ‘fire, blood and anguish’ is an example of rule of three but be sure to also analysis it’s allusions to hell.

Additionally, remember to say ‘poet’ when talking about a poet and ‘author’ when talking about Priestley etc. (I hope this helps, If you want more clarification, I will be happy to reply! Do a lot of papers and ask your teacher to make them is possible. Perhaps a friend might like to help too!

I hope this is useful.

Wow thank you so much for the advice i really appreciate it . For the exam questions, did you get them from physics and maths tutor x?
Reply 6
Original post by Pravi29
Hi, my teacher graded my work as a 5/6 about January 2010 and I did AQA (I am not sure how different it would be).

English Literature

English Language

Advice

I hope this is useful.

Wow thank you so much for the advice i really appreciate it . For the exam questions, did you get them from physics and maths tutor x?

That’s good to hear! All I did is type, ‘Inspector Calls GCSE questions’ and many websites come up and you can pick some, You can do the same with other topics too. For English Langauge, I’m guessing they should be on PMT but also Revisionscience (again you can look it up and loads of results come up). If you run out, perhaps use other specs if you just want to practice analysing with.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pravi29
That’s good to hear! All I did is type, ‘Inspector Calls GCSE questions’ and many websites come up and you can pick some, You can do the same with other topics too. For English Langauge, I’m guessing they should be on PMT but also Revisionscience (again you can look it up and loads of results come up). If you run out, perhaps use other specs if you just want to practice analysing with.i

I will definitely be looking into the exam questions for sure especially for English Language . Is it possible if i can ask what u got in your gcses? Once again thank you for the advice
Reply 8
I will definitely be looking into the exam questions for sure especially for English Language . Is it possible if i can ask what u got in your gcses? Once again thank you for the advice

Great! Despite my teacher’s initial grading, I managed to get 9 in both English Literature and English Language which always reminds me thee is hope! 😂 Good luck for your GCSEs! If you put in the work, they should be fine!
Original post by Pravi29
Great! Despite my teacher’s initial grading, I managed to get 9 in both English Literature and English Language which always reminds me thee is hope! 😂 Good luck for your GCSEs! If you put in the work, they should be fine!

WOWW a 9 . Just proves predicted that predicted grades/target grades don't mean anything ,love the determination .
WOWW a 9 . Just proves predicted that predicted grades/target grades don't mean anything ,love the determination .

Thank you! Hope all goes well! :smile:
Original post by Pravi29
Thank you! Hope all goes well! :smile:

No problem and thanks😃

Quick Reply

Latest