SFE funding for first a Certificate of Higher Education and then a BSc

Watch
shahj242
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm looking to complete a CertHE at Birkbeck, UoL this year in order to gain entry to and complete BSc Economics at Birkbeck too afterwards.I'll either be doing the CertHE in Economics http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2020/cert...ammes/UEHECNMC or the CertHE HEIS http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2021/unde...es/UCHHEINT_C/. I plan to complete the CertHE I end up deciding to do in the shortest time possible - think fast track modules etc.For the BSc Economics, I plan to enrol on a 3 years full-time basis.I have no Level 4 qualifications. I understand the CertHE is a level 4 qualification - might this be seen as equivalent to year 1 BSc and therefore have an impact on available funding for the BSc?Thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by shahj242)
Hi, I'm looking to complete a CertHE at Birkbeck, UoL this year in order to gain entry to and complete BSc Economics at Birkbeck too afterwards.I'll either be doing the CertHE in Economics http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2020/cert...ammes/UEHECNMC or the CertHE HEIS http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2021/unde...es/UCHHEINT_C/. I plan to complete the CertHE I end up deciding to do in the shortest time possible - think fast track modules etc.For the BSc Economics, I plan to enrol on a 3 years full-time basis.I have no Level 4 qualifications. I understand the CertHE is a level 4 qualification - might this be seen as equivalent to year 1 BSc and therefore have an impact on available funding for the BSc?Thanks
If you take a year studying this then it will use up your gift year of funding.

A certHE would normally give you entry into second year of a degree. For first year entry a l3 qualification like an access to he diploma from an fe college would be a better option.
shahj242
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If you take a year studying this then it will use up your gift year of funding.

A certHE would normally give you entry into second year of a degree. For first year entry a l3 qualification like an access to he diploma from an fe college would be a better option.
Thanks for replying. Whilst the CertHE takes up a year of funding, would a level 3 qualification do the same? If not, why? Thanks.
shahj242
Rep:
?
BUMP. Can I get a reply from someone at SFE please. Thanks.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by shahj242)
Thanks for replying. Whilst the CertHE takes up a year of funding, would a level 3 qualification do the same? If not, why? Thanks.
Access Diplomas aren't degree level study. They're funded as FE and so you get an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the fees (which is written off completely once you get a degree) but there's no living cost loan available (although some colleges will have bursary support for students on low incomes as well as hardship funds).

The CertHE courses at Birkbeck are deliberately designed to take the maximum amount of money off students for a course that should have been designed as a proper integrated foundation year (because that's the only way they accept it and the only way other universities accept it).
shahj242
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Access Diplomas aren't degree level study. They're funded as FE and so you get an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the fees (which is written off completely once you get a degree) but there's no living cost loan available (although some colleges will have bursary support for students on low incomes as well as hardship funds).

The CertHE courses at Birkbeck are deliberately designed to take the maximum amount of money off students for a course that should have been designed as a proper integrated foundation year (because that's the only way they accept it and the only way other universities accept it).
Thanks for your time. The Access course doesn't look too shabby. I've managed to get my funding question answered - looks like it'll only use a year of funding up (like you said). I've decided to go ahead with the CertHE Economics because whilst it'll give me entry to the BBK BSc Economics like the Access would, I feel the CertHE would likely prepare me better to do well on the degree later (better tailored subject matter, uni environment, etc). I'm not just interested in getting to do the degree but to ultimately get a good grade too. Thanks for your help cheers. (feel free to reply if I'm getting something horribly wrong tho!)
ChristinaJB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I’m also completing economics CHE at birkbeck as a fast track this year and was wondering if you managed to get your loan for it completed as I’m having so many issues with it. I’ve called birkbeck and the student finance team and have just been back and forth for the last couple of days. If you have applied successfully, what loan did you apply for and what did you input as your course title?
shahj242
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ChristinaJB)
Hey, I’m also completing economics CHE at birkbeck as a fast track this year and was wondering if you managed to get your loan for it completed as I’m having so many issues with it. I’ve called birkbeck and the student finance team and have just been back and forth for the last couple of days. If you have applied successfully, what loan did you apply for and what did you input as your course title?
Hi, apologies for the tardy reply. I recently got a reply from Ian Munro from the relevant dept at Bbk. He said that I wouldn't need to complete the whole CertHE Economics (120 credits) - I only need to complete the two outlined modules to apply for the BSc Economics later; 1) Economic principles and 2) Quantitative economic methods to 60%+ (totalling 60 credits).

I suppose this is good news as it seems to be somewhat of a simple route onto the BSc Economics however it's also made things a little more confusing for me (why is there a CertHE HIES with an economics route worth 120 credits that as far as I can tell people only go onto intending to move onto the Bsc Economics+ afterwards? Why not just complete the 2 aforementioned modules?).

I called up SFE and spoke to them about financing for the whole CertHE Economics first and also how this might affect the financing for the BSc Economics afterwards. They said that they couldn't find the CertHE Economics on their system which they say only shows courses that can be financed with an HE loan. I asked if they could check the CertHE HEIS too and again nothing came up. The rep said that the lack of response from their system implies the two CertHE courses I checked with them are financed with Advanced learner loans and not HE loans - however this is just their guess and said I should confirm with Bbk because it could be the University hasn't yet updated their info with SFE yet.

I've decided to run with what Ian Munro has confirmed and enrol onto the 2 aforementioned modules starting this April (both fast-tracked) and see what Bbk's system shows up with in terms of financing etc.
shahj242
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
An update in case anyone finds it useful - I've now enrolled on the two modules, and it appears that my student finance (HE tuition loan) has also been approved (although I'm still waiting on the confirmation letter to arrive in the post - but can see the letter's already been uploaded on the SFE account?). The course title on my application is Certificate of Higher Education and studying 60 credits (2 x 30 credit modules). Disclaimer - everything seems to be working fine but on the off chance I've messed something up please talk to BBK and SFE first before applying yourself (esp understanding how this may impact your entitlement to future funding). I've been given full access to the BBK services and am looking forward to starting the course in April.
Last edited by shahj242; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (72)
12.29%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.23%
Live streaming events (51)
8.7%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.39%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.21%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.18%