Payel123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello, im in Y11 and I'm thinking of doing A levels in Bio, History and an AS in Economics. For my 3rd A-level I want to do either Chem/Maths. what do you learn in in Maths and how hard is it on average. (on track to get a 9/high 8, but don't rly enjoy it other than statistics and geometry)
nm12345
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
well, a-level maths is quite difficult to be honest, there is a fair bit of statistics and geometry, but there is also mechanics and trigonometry
Payel123
Rep:
?
(Original post by nm12345)
well, a-level maths is quite difficult to be honest, there is a fair bit of statistics and geometry, but there is also mechanics and trigonometry
Are there a lot on functions, they're the bane of my existence?
a_l_f
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I would defiantly take it, interesting + unis like it, what are u predicted for GCSE?
Payel123
Rep:
?
(Original post by a_l_f)
I would defiantly take it, interesting + unis like it, what are u predicted for GCSE
Ive been getting 9 almost all tests, but some recent ones are 8 (recently we've done a lot of functions and transformations)
a_l_f
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Payel123)
Ive been getting 9 almost all tests, but some recent ones are 8 (recently we've done a lot of functions and transformations)
Then yes I would, if you enjoy it.
You do calculus, differential equations, parametics, trig, graph stuff and that
I did OCR MEI B so cant speak for other exam boards
have a look at some past papers to get a feel for content if unsure
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Functions are a fundamental object in maths, you can't really avoid them going forward.
emileeeei
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hello, im in Y11 and I'm thinking of doing A levels in Bio, History and an AS in Economics. For my 3rd A-level I want to do either Chem/Maths. what do you learn in in Maths and how hard is it on average. (on track to get a 9/high 8, but don't rly enjoy it other than statistics and geometry)
the most helpful thing to know would be what youre planning on studying at uni!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
On the one hand, A-level Maths is somewhat different in style to GCSE Maths (or at least that was the case when I did GCSE, and then later studied the A-level topics). I found the GCSE material quite dull, but A-level more interesting and enjoyable. But the topics you indicate you liked at GCSE are probably the least representative or related to the A-level material. The stuff on trigonometry, algebra, functions, graphs (inc coordinate geometry) and vectors (I can't remember if we did vectors at GCSE tbh) is more the kind of maths done in A-level. If you didn't like those topics so much, then you probably won't enjoy (and quite possibly do well in) A-level Maths.

Note that following my post on your other thread, this is then probably also indicative that you might not enjoy or do well in an economics based degree, as the maths on an economics degree is far more than "just" statistics and even the statistics you do on an economics degree (which is normally "proper" stats i.e. mathematical statistics) is more similar to those other topics above and A-level Maths, than the kind of statistics you do in GCSE Maths.
IhopeUfail
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hell na why would u do that to yourself
oana1389
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
brooo do maths, chemistry a level is hell on earth
nm12345
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yea, they're quite prominent 😬😬
Payel123
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
On the one hand, A-level Maths is somewhat different in style to GCSE Maths (or at least that was the case when I did GCSE, and then later studied the A-level topics). I found the GCSE material quite dull, but A-level more interesting and enjoyable. But the topics you indicate you liked at GCSE are probably the least representative or related to the A-level material. The stuff on trigonometry, algebra, functions, graphs (inc coordinate geometry) and vectors (I can't remember if we did vectors at GCSE tbh) is more the kind of maths done in A-level. If you didn't like those topics so much, then you probably won't enjoy (and quite possibly do well in) A-level Maths.

Note that following my post on your other thread, this is then probably also indicative that you might not enjoy or do well in an economics based degree, as the maths on an economics degree is far more than "just" statistics and even the statistics you do on an economics degree (which is normally "proper" stats i.e. mathematical statistics) is more similar to those other topics above and A-level Maths, than the kind of statistics you do in GCSE Maths
Thanks, What if I do a BA eco course, the less maths heavy one. I am relatively good at maths, and apart from functions I am capable of doing them, but if there's only a bit of maths here and there, I won't find it that boring. I'm doing Eco AS bc my school lets me swap it for another in first month if I don't like it/ find it hard. I'm not planning on doing a pure eco course, I like the sound of it but have never studied it.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks, What if I do a BA eco course, the less maths heavy one. I am relatively good at maths, and apart from functions I am capable of doing them, but if there's only a bit of maths here and there, I won't find it that boring. I'm doing Eco AS bc my school lets me swap it for another in first month if I don't like it/ find it hard. I'm not planning on doing a pure eco course, I like the sound of it but have never studied it.
You will still need to do maths in that course, and all of economics is about functions basically...the point of the field (at least in its current form) is that all the economic phenomena are modelled as mathematical functions which you then analyse (usually with calculus, or if you're a graduate student, real analysis). Even on a "less maths heavy" economics course, you'll still do a fair bit of maths and you will still learn maths up to A-level standard sooner or later in the course. Also as above since functions are kind of the core of any maths beyond simple arithmetic they are going to be ubiquitous in any even moderately mathematical subject.

If you are interested in the effect of economic policy and institutions on society then you might find a degree more suited to your tastes would be something else in the social sciences, like politics, sociology, or anthropology. In those subjects you will think about those things (and aspects of "armchair" economic theory actually form the bases of some very central sociological and anthropological theories stemming from Weber and Marx). Alternately something like archaeology, where considering how ancient peoples might have traded with each other and formed local economies based on the material remains of those cultures, is something of a great deal of interest in that field.
Ooef
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by oana1389)
brooo do maths, chemistry a level is hell on earth
Nahh chem is easier than maths by far, at least for aqa
oana1389
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Ooef)
Nahh chem is easier than maths by far, at least for aqa
im doing CAIE and i found math super easy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (122)
41.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (33)
11.19%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (22)
7.46%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (66)
22.37%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
11.19%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed