Shah99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Say if I'm on a short slip road to join dual carriageway (i'm travelling at 50mph) - and a car is behind me (in my blindspot). Should I accelerate and pass him OR brake and let him pass me?

P.S. I was very close to the end of the sliproad.

Thanks
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
trust your instinct
Shah99
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
trust your instinct
What would you have done?
___ally
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Shah99)
What would you have done?
It's not for any of us to say. Driving is about perception of hazards and reacting accordingly - we weren't there so can't really make a proper judgement.

It would have been courteous for him to let him out, but he obviously didn't, so either he didn't feel like letting you out or someone was in lane 2 blocking him from moving out for you. Traffic on the main carriageway always has priority - you should know that. So really, you should give way to them. But if you can get ahead of them without forcing them to brake/take evasive action then you may do so.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Say if I'm on a short slip road to join dual carriageway (i'm travelling at 50mph) - and a car is behind me (in my blindspot). Should I accelerate and pass him OR brake and let him pass me?

Thanks
Hard for anyone here to say. Depends on the situation.

Don't cause a crash, and don't inconvenience anyone.
virgil1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Thanks
You don’t say if anyone was dangerously close behind him or you. I’m going to assume not.

Baring in mind this forum and your question I’m also going to assume you have a low to medium performance vehicle.

Personally with the above assumptions I would say the safer course of action would be to slow, however you really need to be careful to try and avoid these situations. As others say it’s a judgement call - which is one of the reasons you had to take a test to drive unsupervised.

Short of a dashcam video it’s really going to be difficult to make more of a comment other than with any “iffy” situation you need to try and be objective and ask what you could do better allowing for the fact other drivers may well have exacerbated the situation. My driving instructor used to say assume everyone is out to get you - including yourself.

One thing I notice, is frequently people don’t gain enough speed on the slip to safely “merge” this traffic rather than forcing traffic already on the road they’re joining to react. The easiest way to allow for this is to drop further back, which gives you more room to accelerate up to the car in front giving you a more appropriate speed. But it’s all about judgement and experience.

If you’re not completely comfortable I’d say try to get pass plus, I did it years ago and it was really good to get 6 hours as a fully qualified driver just driving around with my instructor (back in the days learners couldn’t go on motorways too). If you can’t afford or don’t want to do pass plus see if a more experienced driver you trust and are not going to have issues with correcting you to go with you.

Of course a higher performance vehicle will make life easier too as you’ll be able to “nip” in quicker if you need especially on a short slip road but I would argue you’re almost always better to drop back than power forward, if only for the fact more speed equals a messier accident.
Last edited by virgil1; 3 weeks ago
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You have to give priority to the vehicle on the dual carriageway so I would say the best thing is to let them pass and follow in behind. The secret in these situations is early observation and judgement of which gap to feed in to. Try to avoid situations like you describe with someone close in the blind spot. This said it’s not always easy particularly in short slip roads and with unpredictable behaviour from other drivers. Confidence comes with more experience
Last edited by Zarek; 3 weeks ago
steveaitchison00
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Thanks
Not clear enough from your description what is happening. Was the other car behind you on the slip road or the main carriageway? Either way, you should be checking all around when doing that kind of manoeuvre - blind spots are only there when you don't turn your head!

As a general rule of thumb, introducing additional speed into any situation usually increases the risk. Plus you risk annoying other drivers if you cut in front of them. So my instinct would be to slow down and allow the other car to pass.

Better observation and anticipation next time, match your speed and position to a gap in the traffic as early as possible, and join the carriageway safely.

PS I've been driving for over 20 years.
Last edited by steveaitchison00; 3 weeks ago
Shah99
Rep:
?
Thank you to everyone who replied. Upon reflection, I should've slowed down.
boblishman
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you to everyone who replied. Upon reflection, I should've slowed down.
Could you just confirm what you meant by "a driver was behind me in my blind spot"? Were they directly behind you about to overtake or were they already in the lane next to you?
Shah99
Rep:
?
(Original post by boblishman)
Could you just confirm what you meant by "a driver was behind me in my blind spot"? Were they directly behind you about to overtake or were they already in the lane next to you?
They were on the main carriageway, I was attempting to join
boblishman
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They were on the main carriageway, I was attempting to join
Thought so. Yeah, you should have slowed down in that instance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (536)
51.15%
No (512)
48.85%

Watched Threads