The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angusgmoncrieff
Private school is definitely worth it in my opinion. All the top unis are filled with ex private school kids - 40% of Bristol University students went to private school! That says everything!

Even if the top unis are filled with private school kids, it doesn't mean it's worth it. You can easily get into Bristol at any state school, you don't need a private education for that. Oxbridge would be a better example of private schools having an advantage but even then, there's still access from state schools.
Original post by Muttley79
No and it's not the only one on the list either. Why do you think a number of schools are paying my school for me to go and train their teachers?

A misguided belief that the latest fad in education is a worthwhile endeavour for someone to pad their CPD?
Original post by Incede
But that's just a one off case. You don't pay X thousand pounds a year for worse teaching.

The facilities and resources are better at private schools so even if the teaching quality is the same as state schools, you will get a better education at a private school. Still not worth it financially though.

No - that often isn't true - maintenance of Private schools tends to be poor as well. Another I know of near Leeds has broken windows, holes in walls and appalling IT facilities ... the boarding houses have rooms I wouldn't put my worst enemy in.
Original post by Farseer
A misguided belief that the latest fad in education is a worthwhile endeavour for someone to pad their CPD?

No - their teachers are failing to do a good job and they are concerned about parents.
Original post by FakeNobody
im actually considering westminister , is that a private school that you have any knowledge on?

Yes I do know of Westminster ...
No - that often isn't true - maintenance of Private schools tends to be poor as well. Another I know of near Leeds has broken windows, holes in walls and appalling IT facilities ... the boarding houses have rooms I wouldn't put my worst enemy in.

Then why is it that such a large proportion of Oxbridge students went to private school, if the teaching quality, facilities and resources are worse?

The examples you are giving don't seem anything like the typical private school
Original post by Incede
Then why is it that such a large proportion of Oxbridge students went to private school, if the teaching quality, facilities and resources are worse?

The examples you are giving don't seem anything like the typical private school

The examples I've read on theis thread of state schools aren't typical either.

I teach at a high performing state school - not all our Oxbridge ability students choose to apply - they decide to do degrees Oxbridge don't offer or they prefer a course elsewhere that offers a year in industry. They aren't blinded by Oxbridge hype that dominates TSR..
im actually considering westminister , is that a private school that you have any knowledge on?

Lol Westminster is like one of the best private schools in the UK
Another thing Is playing the chance game. for example, I would estimate 40/60 of state schools are bad/good where as 80/20 of private schools are good/bad.

That's wrong too - look at Ofsted data - 86% of state schools are good or outstanding

Below average A level progress according to DfE
The examples I've read on theis thread of state schools aren't typical either.

I teach at a high performing state school - not all our Oxbridge ability students choose to apply - they decide to do degrees Oxbridge don't offer or they prefer a course elsewhere that offers a year in industry. They aren't blinded by Oxbridge hype that dominates TSR..

I don't understand how so many people can pay so much for private schools if you are saying that state education is superior to private education. People would only be willing to pay this much if private schools offer a significantly better education.
It depends on the private school; its calibre, culture and priorities.
The history & reputation, ethos, teaching standards, finances and the needs of the specific child.

Generally, a private school education in the uk and usa is a worthwhile investment.
But as regards private schools in england & scotland there is often a significant issue in relation to bullying, coverups of criminality and religious imposition.
Below average A level progress according to DfE

well that's just wrong
That's wrong too - look at Ofsted data - 86% of state schools are good or outstanding

I went to a good rated school, but it was awful - most of my friends left the school with less than 5 C's at GCSE. Behaviour even in the top sets made it really tough to learn unless you had a really good teacher and there were good teachers, but the whole environment sucked. We were taught in temporary portacabins in some subjects for years.

It's easy to get a high percentage of good and outstanding ratings if you stop inspecting those schools. It's rigged.
Original post by yeye21
well that's just wrong

What she's leaving out, is that the kids at that school do so well at 16 it's virtually impossible to do any better so the progress scores look bad. Nobody outside of education echo chambers care, they have excellent outcomes.
Original post by yeye21
well that's just wrong

Nope its right and is a fact. But that doesn't necessarily mean Westminster is a bad private school. They're still achieving A/A*s
Original post by Incede
I don't understand how so many people can pay so much for private schools if you are saying that state education is superior to private education. People would only be willing to pay this much if private schools offer a significantly better education.

I've been a student at private schools, state schools, faith schools and a grammar school.
Some very wealthy parents/grandparents choose expensive private schools to 'park' troublemaker children who have been expelled from previous grammar or state schools for violence or multiple instances of criminal conduct.
Other people are paying for their children to be kept away from the state school classrooms or for the children to live at a prestigeous boarding school that will keep them for most of the year.
Original post by londonmyst
I've been a student at private schools, state schools, faith schools and a grammar school.
Some very wealthy parents/grandparents choose expensive private schools to 'park' troublemaker children who have been expelled from previous grammar or state schools for violence or multiple instances of criminal conduct.
Other people are paying for their children to be kept away from the state school classrooms or for the children to live at a prestigeous boarding school that will keep them for most of the year.

Yes.

Would you say private school provides a better education than state schools in regards to teaching quality, facilities, resources? (disregarding the cost). That's what I'm arguing for.
Original post by Incede
Would you say private school provides a better education than state schools in regards to teaching quality, facilities, resources? (disregarding the cost). That's what I'm arguing for.

Most secular private schools and grammar schools with an established reputation that have existed in the uk for more than half a century do provide a better education by that criteria that state comprehensive schools.
no. i went to a public school from a private school and the education was the same pretty much. i’ve still gotten into russell groups and top universities. i’ve got friends at private schools who still average B’s and C’s in their grades. of course there are other factors but overall, na

plus just personally i hate the idea of private schools. people shouldn’t have to pay for a ‘better’ education, everyone should have access to high quality teaching and resources for primary and secondary school

Latest

Trending

Trending