Will my car be written off?

Watch
Intrigued1999
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys,

So a few days ago, as I was parking up and accidentally hit the rear headlights of my neighbours car and damaged the side of my car. The damage isn’t severe at all and does not have an impact on the performance of the car but I’m scared that it would be written off due to the price it might cost to get it fixed through insurance. Am I being dramatic or should I be concerned?
Intrigued1999
Rep:
?
Here is a picture of the car.
Attached files
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You're claiming on your insurance for minor damage to an old Vauxhall? Is that wise?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just get some black tape on it
AliNineNine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Intrigued1999)
Hi guys,

So a few days ago, as I was parking up and accidentally hit the rear headlights of my neighbours car and damaged the side of my car. The damage isn’t severe at all and does not have an impact on the performance of the car but I’m scared that it would be written off due to the price it might cost to get it fixed through insurance. Am I being dramatic or should I be concerned?
are you from london at all? i know a guy who can get this all fixed for you for cheap and you won't have to tell insurance.

if you tell insurance, they without a doubt will write that car off. you'll have lost your no claims bonus and your premium will likely go up next year.
Intrigued1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
You're claiming on your insurance for minor damage to an old Vauxhall? Is that wise?
I claimed because the car I hit was quoting me over £1000 to get a right rear light fixed and a bump on her car fixed. I thought I had to claim and state I was at fault and with this came repairing the damage to my car. Is there something else I should’ve done?
Intrigued1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by AliNineNine)
are you from london at all? i know a guy who can get this all fixed for you for cheap and you won't have to tell insurance.

if you tell insurance, they without a doubt will write that car off. you'll have lost your no claims bonus and your premium will likely go up next year.
I’ve already told insurance but the pictures I sent to them of the car were not very clear (it was raining and the camera was reflecting). I don’t live in London! Do you reckon if I go to a garage and sort out the dents in that section and just leave the minimal scratches that it will get written off?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I claimed because the car I hit was quoting me over £1000 to get a right rear light fixed and a bump on her car fixed. I thought I had to claim and state I was at fault and with this came repairing the damage to my car. Is there something else I should’ve done?
You do not need to make a claim at all.
The other party will claim on your insurance, but you do not need to claim yourself.
AliNineNine
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you'd be surprised, could be a paint job aswell that's racking up the costs
theres alot of stuff to take into consideration
new bumper alone can cost 300 plus paint job around 300
a new headlight maybe around 150
you can see how the cost is piling up already

You could offer to settle privately with them and pay them off half the amount if you want and not go insurance but that's a bit dodgy... since you're meant to tell insurance

I’ve already told insurance but the pictures I sent to them of the car were not very clear (it was raining and the camera was reflecting). I don’t live in London! Do you reckon if I go to a garage and sort out the dents in that section and just leave the minimal scratches that it will get written off?
if you're admitting liability, insurance potentially won't pay a penny towards your repairs, but if you want to make a claim, you should factor in how much your total excess that you have to pay and see if its worth it

What you should do is since you told the insurance, just notify them of whats happened incase other person makes a claim. but you shouldn't make a claim, that way they wont investigate the car and not write it off
Intrigued1999
Rep:
?
You do not need to make a claim at all.
The other party will claim on your insurance, but you do not need to claim yourself.
Sorry, I’m new to this whole insurance thing. When the third party came to me with such an extensive quote, I stated that it may be best to go through insurance and she was very angry about this. I thought that once an accident happens, no matter who was at fault, you had to claim. I didn’t know the third party had to claim and not me. So I claimed and I told my insurance company what happened and told them I had a few scratches on my car.
Intrigued1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by AliNineNine)
you'd be surprised, could be a paint job aswell that's racking up the costs
theres alot of stuff to take into consideration
new bumper alone can cost 300 plus paint job around 300
a new headlight maybe around 150
you can see how the cost is piling up already

You could offer to settle privately with them and pay them off half the amount if you want and not go insurance but that's a bit dodgy... since you're meant to tell insurance

if you're admitting liability, insurance potentially won't pay a penny towards your repairs, but if you want to make a claim, you should factor in how much your total excess that you have to pay and see if its worth it

What you should do is since you told the insurance, just notify them of whats happened incase other person makes a claim. but you shouldn't make a claim, that way they wont investigate the car and not write it off
Can I cancel a claim I made?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry, I’m new to this whole insurance thing. When the third party came to me with such an extensive quote, I stated that it may be best to go through insurance and she was very angry about this. I thought that once an accident happens, no matter who was at fault, you had to claim. I didn’t know the third party had to claim and not me. So I claimed and I told my insurance company what happened and told them I had a few scratches on my car.
It's your duty to report the incident to your insurer, but you are not obligated to claim.

If you don't want to claim, contact your insurer and say so.
Intrigued1999
Rep:
?
It's your duty to report the incident to your insurer, but you are not obligated to claim.

If you don't want to claim, contact your insurer and say so.
If I call them in the morning and inform them that I no longer want to claim and how I just wanted to notify them of the incident, will I be able to retract my claim?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If I call them in the morning and inform them that I no longer want to claim and how I just wanted to notify them of the incident, will I be able to retract my claim?
I'd imagine so, yes; they haven't paid out for any repairs.
Intrigued1999
Rep:
?
I'd imagine so, yes; they haven't paid out for any repairs.
Yes, you’re correct. They’ve assigned repairers who are visiting next Wednesday to inspect the vehicle. I’ll call my insurance tomorrow and tell them that I’m new to the whole insurance process so didn’t know what I wanted to do but that I didn’t want to claim and just wanted to inform them that I bumped into my neighbours car. Then after this, I’ll get the car repaired at my local garage ASAP.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, you’re correct. They’ve assigned repairers who are visiting next Wednesday to inspect the vehicle. I’ll call my insurance tomorrow and tell them that I’m new to the whole insurance process so didn’t know what I wanted to do but that I didn’t want to claim and just wanted to inform them that I bumped into my neighbours car. Then after this, I’ll get the car repaired at my local garage ASAP.
Yes that sounds like the right way forward. Then you're not paying your excess, and the total claim on your policy will be much less (therefore less impact on premiums over the next three years).
Intrigued1999
Rep:
?
Yes that sounds like the right way forward. Then you're not paying your excess, and the total claim on your policy will be much less (therefore less impact on premiums over the next three years).
Thank you so much for your help! I will definitely keep you updated.
Intrigued1999
Rep:
?
Sorry one last thing. When I call my insurance tomorrow and tell them that I didn’t want to make a claim, I just wanted to notify them. What if they’ve already settled with the third party? Will that affect me cancelling my claim or can I still cancel my claim as this affects my car and not the third parties? (I hope this makes sense)
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry one last thing. When I call my insurance tomorrow and tell them that I didn’t want to make a claim, I just wanted to notify them. What if they’ve already settled with the third party? Will that affect me cancelling my claim or can I still cancel my claim as this affects my car and not the third parties? (I hope this makes sense)
It's completely seperate.
AliNineNine
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I fell asleep sorry, the other guy that's been responding is correct and I'd do the same!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%