The Student Room Group

running away- estrangement

ignore
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by nybhamiah
hi,

i had a few questions about student finance and estrangement finance and would find it very helpful if anyone wirh a but if knowledge helped me out (: first some back story:

i’m a 17 year old muslim girl in year 13 and culturally my parents find it wrong for a girl to move out of home before they are married etc and so have always restricted me to universities in manchester and have even said if i must go to liverpool or anywhere fairly far i will have to commute everyday as i must stay at home. my first choice is manchester however i really do not want to stay at home. my dad is a very cultural and religious man who does not like me having any freedom, and i don’t have permission to even get the bus as i must be dropped off and picked up everywhere. my mum has recently found out i don’t follow a very religious path and has threatened to disown me and ban me from university all together, and my home has become very toxic so i have a plan to run away during summer to university accomodation. however of course i will only be able to provide their proof of income for the first year and after this, i will definitely be disowned once i move, so will not be able to provide any proof. i was wondering how much estrangement loans usually are? as my maintenance loan with parental income proof is around £8,000 and even this is not enough to cover costs ): i have been saving up my pocket money and finding a job has been very hard during corona so i don’t think i’ll have a lot of money saved before uni starts. and i plan on having a job during uni but dentistry is a challenging course and i feel it will be too challenging to work very often. so yeah does anybody know how estrangement works and if i sound like i’ll be eligible? or maybe anything manchester uni offers that could help me?? also a figure on how much estrangement student s usually get would help me greatly so i can plan how to budget my money etc. thank you!

Hi there, sorry to hear about your situation. If you are awarded finance as an estranged applicant then you would be able to receive the maximum funding available. You can use this calculator to work out an estimate https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending