What Gcse subjects do I need to become a vet and what are grades should I aim for?

Watch
elvira_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi. I've always wanted to become a vet ever since I was 8. I absolutely adore animals and next year I need to choose what subjects I would like to take for gcses. I am currently 13 and in year 8. I am unsure what the requirement subjects are to become a vet and what grades must I get for Gcse's.Also, I don't know what practise papers to get just to prepare. It would be much appreciated if anyone can answer these questions as I feel like I dont have much time left before I need to choose 😂. Thank you so much
yasmin03
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
as long as you are doing science and maths, I don’t think it matters. I think just do subjects that you enjoy and will put more effort into doing well in. universities tend to care more about which alevels you took, so as long as you can get into what they want from you (probably biology and at least another hard science, but don’t quote me)
something_orphic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You have ages to choose your GCSE subjects so do not worry. However, it is great that you are thinking ahead :h:

For GCSEs i would recommend choosing Triple Science. From my knowledge there is no other optional GCSE that you need. Taking a foreign language could benefit you so that is something to bare in mind but is not a requirement by any means.

Maybe look into STEM subjects for your other GCSE choices. For example, computer science or further maths would be a good addition.

It does not really matter what you choose for GCSE, even to become a vet, these are only suggestions. Focus on Science and maths and try and get good grades in the rest of your GCSEs and you should be fine.

As for practise papers there are loads online. You do not need to start though until year 10 but if you would like to look through some to help choose your options or to get a better idea of what it is going to be like then that is a great idea. For now i recommend just working hard in your classes and completing your homework and enjoy year 8 and 9.

Hope this helps :yy:

Edit: Sorry i forgot you also asked about requirements. Obviously your A levels are more important but i just had a look around.

You will need grade A-C (9-5) for at least 5 of your GCSE subjects wherever you go according to UCAS.

Nottingham for example offers a good course that is 5 GCSEs at grade 7 (including biology and chemistry and either physics or maths) and a grade 6 in English language and Maths. (one of the top unis according to google for veterinary medicine).
A levels they offer AAB.

Personally i would go and have a little look around at Unis and see what they offer and see where you want to be aiming for. See what is the lowest you want to aim for kind of thing.
Last edited by something_orphic; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.85%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.53%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.94%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.18%

Watched Threads