The Student Room Group

Anyone else regret starting uni in 2020?

has anyone else found it really difficult making friends in first year this year? i feel left out by my flat mates and haven't been able to meet anyone else due to corona restrictions :frown:( im now feeling anxious about my living situation for next year because i have no friends to book with. anyone else in this situation?
I understand how you’re feeling! I think unless you’ve really hit it off with your flat it’s so easy to feel lonely this year you are not alone one bit I promise you that! I get on with my flat mates enough but under no circumstances have I made lifelong friendships. I know all my flat have sorted a house without me too. The whole house situation did cause me a lot of anxiety too because there wasn’t anyone else outside the flat I knew of course cos of corona! I’ve decided because of this to stay in halls next year and give being a fresher another go soon as we had that taken away from us this year! Now I’ve decided that I’m actually really excited to hopefully meet some lovely new people next year! Is this an option at your uni? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
has anyone else found it really difficult making friends in first year this year? i feel left out by my flat mates and haven't been able to meet anyone else due to corona restrictions :frown:( im now feeling anxious about my living situation for next year because i have no friends to book with. anyone else in this situation?

Hey @Anonymous

Sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way 😓 It’s a really weird time but I’m sure it’ll get better after a while 🙂 I struggled to make friends as well when I started uni, but I joined a few societies to try and meet new people. Do you have any hobbies? Although there aren't any clubs or societies meeting up for socials, check out your uni website to see if they're holding any virtual events. You could always suggest a virtual event to your course co-ordinators or your degree society. Even though it's not possible to meet people in person at the moment, we're still able to hang out virtually and it would be good to meet people on your course before classes start back on campus ☺️ You could also suggest a movie night or games night to your flatmates?

If you ever want to chat then feel free to send me a DM ☺️

Melissa- Student Ambassador
I'm the same :frown: I was only in my flat for a week because the covid cases started going up and everything was online for me so i went home (i live kinda close to the uni so i only went into halls because i was told there was going to be face to face stuff) . There are two girls who stayed in the halls and they've grown so close. I feel guilty now i didn't stay up there for a few more weeks but i just found it so hard because i was so anxious all the time. I feel like i've missed my best chance at making friends (with my flatmates), if the lockdown does end in March ill have to go back up and im so nervous its even worse now that the ones who have stayed have grown closer and ill be an outsider even more. I think for next year ill go into student halls again (even tho i was so nervous idk what else) but not the halls in the uni there are some outside the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest