New gaming pc suggestions (budget £500 - £1000)

Watch
neville420
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Had my current pc for 5 years and it's getting so slow to the point of driving me insane so I need a new one.

Current specs so basically anything better than this.

Processor AMD A10-7870K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (6.94 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Slow for what? Games? Opening a browser? If it's just got slower generally, you probably don't need a whole new computer, just to clean up your current one.

Judging from the specs you've listed, you're a novice and are looking for pre-built PCs from a shop rather than building one or picking out parts yourself.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by neville420)
Had my current pc for 5 years and it's getting so slow to the point of driving me insane so I need a new one.

Current specs so basically anything better than this.

Processor AMD A10-7870K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (6.94 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
https://www.ebuyer.com/1134308-alpha...aming-as-d5429

This is the best I could find for close to the top of your budget, and it is worth stretching that little further to get a 3000 series card, for two main reasons- they're excellent cards that represent a bigger leap in performance than we've seen for quite a few generations, and because there's no nice scale of price to performance and going a little bit cheaper would be a huge drop in what you're getting for your money. For example in a normal year where GPUs weren't gold dust, upon the release of a new generation of cards the previous gen would slip down the price stack, and we'd have ideally seen 2060 and 2070 systems occupying the £600-700 space by now. This is not what we're seeing this year, where even those last gen cards are selling out everywhere. This is keeping prebuilt prices high, and right now I'm struggling to find 2060 systems selling for less than £900, and the 3060ti destroys it in performance. Going towards the lower end of your budget would instead mean settling for something like a 1650 Super or 1660 in today's market, which is a world apart in performance and you'll still need to be spending £600+ for the privilege.

This is normally the price point that would be perfect for recommending building a computer yourself, but again, not this year. GPU shortages are so bad right now that it's a serious undertaking to just track one down in stock and purchase in the two minutes before it sells out again, and even if you manage that, prices are ludicrously inflated even from dependable retailers. Sadly we're at a point where system builders, who can buy in bulk and operate on smaller mark-ups, are offering similar value to the self-build route. For example speccing out a self-build to match that recommendation above I'm coming in about £50 cheaper, and that's on the assumption you're able to find a 3060ti for around the grossly inflated going rate of about £460, which as I mentioned is a challenge in itself.

I'm not exaggerating when I say anyone looking for a £600 gaming purchase should simply buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X, as they will offer a better gaming experience at this price point until 2000 series systems creep this low later in the year.

The other option is simply waiting for pricing and availability to stabilise, but when things are going to improve to the point that you can buy a graphics card at RRP is anyone's guess, and my personal guess is going to be April at the absolute earliest. You could throw a £20 SSD into your current computer like I suggested before, which with a clean build of Windows would improve day to day usage dramatically, which would ideally hold you over until you can buy a new gaming system at a more reasonable price. The 3060 should be about £370 for example, at that price and with better availability in the CPU and RAM markets, you could comfortably build a system comparable to this one I'm suggesting for well within your initial budget at around £750-800.

This post got longer than I expected, but I hope it helps!
Last edited by Gofre; 3 weeks ago
neville420
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gofre)
https://www.ebuyer.com/1134308-alpha...aming-as-d5429

This is the best I could find for close to the top of your budget, and it is worth stretching that little further to get a 3000 series card, for two main reasons- they're excellent cards that represent a bigger leap in performance than we've seen for quite a few generations, and because there's no nice scale of price to performance and going a little bit cheaper would be a huge drop in what you're getting for your money. For example in a normal year where GPUs weren't gold dust, upon the release of a new generation of cards the previous gen would slip down the price stack, and we'd have ideally seen 2060 and 2070 systems occupying the £600-700 space by now. This is not what we're seeing this year, where even those last gen cards are selling out everywhere. This is keeping prebuilt prices high, and right now I'm struggling to find 2060 systems selling for less than £900, and the 3060ti destroys it in performance. Going towards the lower end of your budget would instead mean settling for something like a 1650 Super or 1660 in today's market, which is a world apart in performance and you'll still need to be spending £600+ for the privilege.

This is normally the price point that would be perfect for recommending building a computer yourself, but again, not this year. GPU shortages are so bad right now that it's a serious undertaking to just track one down in stock and purchase in the two minutes before it sells out again, and even if you manage that, prices are ludicrously inflated even from dependable retailers. Sadly we're at a point where system builders, who can buy in bulk and operate on smaller mark-ups, are offering similar value to the self-build route. For example speccing out a self-build to match that recommendation above I'm coming in about £50 cheaper, and that's on the assumption you're able to find a 3060ti for around the grossly inflated going rate of about £460, which as I mentioned is a challenge in itself.

I'm not exaggerating when I say anyone looking for a £600 gaming purchase should simply buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X, as they will offer a better gaming experience at this price point until 2000 series systems creep this low later in the year.

The other option is simply waiting for pricing and availability to stabilise, but when things are going to improve to the point that you can buy a graphics card at RRP is anyone's guess, and my personal guess is going to be April at the absolute earliest. You could throw a £20 SSD into your current computer like I suggested before, which with a clean build of Windows would improve day to day usage dramatically, which would ideally hold you over until you can buy a new gaming system at a more reasonable price. The 3060 should be about £370 for example, at that price and with better availability in the CPU and RAM markets, you could comfortably build a system comparable to this one I'm suggesting for well within your initial budget at around £750-800.

This post got longer than I expected, but I hope it helps!
This really was helpful, I'll look into the one you suggested. Some of the components I've seen out there really are expensive lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%