The Student Room Group

Doing two degrees at the same time

Hello, I am in currently doing my GCSE's and I have been considering different career paths for the future and I was wondering whether or not it is possible in university to do two degrees at the same time. If possible I would really love to get a degree in psychology and in dentistry. I am an extremely dedicated and hardworking individual and I am really good at organising my time - but the question is - will this be realistically be feasible and will this be accepted at universities? Thank you.
Reply 1
Hi :hello:
So I'm not so sure how it would work if you studied one subject at one uni and the other subject at another...
Buuut, have you considered doing a joint degree?
Like, doing psychology & dentistry at the same time at the same uni? I'm going to uni in Sept and I'm going to be doing a joint French and Spanish degree.
Both the subjects you mentioned are kinda competitive but hopefully somewhere might do that degree combo?
Original post by Allison Santana
Hello, I am in currently doing my GCSE's and I have been considering different career paths for the future and I was wondering whether or not it is possible in university to do two degrees at the same time. If possible I would really love to get a degree in psychology and in dentistry. I am an extremely dedicated and hardworking individual and I am really good at organising my time - but the question is - will this be realistically be feasible and will this be accepted at universities? Thank you.

Hi! @Allison Santana

It's good that you would like to consider different career paths :smile: However, I would not recommend studying two degrees at the same time. You will not have the time to manage this, as you need to dedicate your time for the degree. A degree is not like a GCSE or A Level subject, it is something that you will be studying every day and split into modules. Therefore, you will be organising your time by sorting when you will study each module and get their assignments completed.
Also, unis like to see that you are dedicated to that one subject. And I'm not sure this is feasible under student finance.
It would be worth looking at combined degrees. Like Psychology with health or something similar.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by Allison Santana

Hi Allison!

I'd second what Chloe @University of Portsmouth Student Rep has said. A degree programme is based on the expectation that you'll be working full-time on your studies. At Keele, for example, most of our first-year undergraduate Psychology modules are worth 15 credits so come with an expected study time of around 150 hours across the semester - that includes lecture/seminar time as well as study/reading/writing time outside of class. On average, you could expect to be studying 3-4 modules a semester, making a combined total of between 450-600 hours of study as a rough guide.

It's also worth bearing in mind that both of the career paths you are interested in would require a dedicated number of study hours - and a certain set of results - to obtain professional accreditation. You might also find that some courses contain work experience and practical/applied elements, which would not be very easy to fit around another course of study. This is absolutely nothing to do with you being a dedicated or hardworking individual (and it certainly sounds as if you are both those things!) but more that full-time undergraduate course structures are designed on the basis that you'll only be studying for one degree at a time.

As a few others on this thread have suggested, you might like to consider a joint honours degree programme if you want to keep your career path options open. Using Keele as an example again, we offer several combined honours courses with our Psychology programme: https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/psychology/, as well as options to study Psychology with a Placement Year or alongside a Natural Sciences programme: https://www.keele.ac.uk/psychology/study/undergraduate/.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:
Original post by Keele Postgraduate
Hi Allison!

I'd second what Chloe @University of Portsmouth Student Rep has said. A degree programme is based on the expectation that you'll be working full-time on your studies. At Keele, for example, most of our first-year undergraduate Psychology modules are worth 15 credits so come with an expected study time of around 150 hours across the semester - that includes lecture/seminar time as well as study/reading/writing time outside of class. On average, you could expect to be studying 3-4 modules a semester, making a combined total of between 450-600 hours of study as a rough guide.

It's also worth bearing in mind that both of the career paths you are interested in would require a dedicated number of study hours - and a certain set of results - to obtain professional accreditation. You might also find that some courses contain work experience and practical/applied elements, which would not be very easy to fit around another course of study. This is absolutely nothing to do with you being a dedicated or hardworking individual (and it certainly sounds as if you are both those things!) but more that full-time undergraduate course structures are designed on the basis that you'll only be studying for one degree at a time.

As a few others on this thread have suggested, you might like to consider a joint honours degree programme if you want to keep your career path options open. Using Keele as an example again, we offer several combined honours courses with our Psychology programme: https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/psychology/, as well as options to study Psychology with a Placement Year or alongside a Natural Sciences programme: https://www.keele.ac.uk/psychology/study/undergraduate/.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:

Thank you, this is very helpful. I appreciate the feedback!
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi! @Allison Santana

It's good that you would like to consider different career paths :smile: However, I would not recommend studying two degrees at the same time. You will not have the time to manage this, as you need to dedicate your time for the degree. A degree is not like a GCSE or A Level subject, it is something that you will be studying every day and split into modules. Therefore, you will be organising your time by sorting when you will study each module and get their assignments completed.
Also, unis like to see that you are dedicated to that one subject. And I'm not sure this is feasible under student finance.
It would be worth looking at combined degrees. Like Psychology with health or something similar.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you for your reply, this is very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending