The Student Room Group

Period Pain

I'm having the worst period pains I've had in my entire life. I have exams and am frantically revising so I don't have time to go to the doctors to get something prescribed. Does anyone know anything good that might work that I can get over the counter at the chemists.
I know Ibruprofen or paracetamol won't work because they don't give me pain relief for a normal period and this is worse.
I've already tried feminax which was recommended in boots and I've been taking that for more than a day and it isn't doing anything at all. Any suggestions I'm in agony here.
I've tried gentle exercise and a bit of yoga too but that doesn't seem to be doing anything oh and a hot water bottle on my stomach.

I've got a splitting headache, bad back ache, stomach cramps and really bad cramp down my legs too.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can stress make period pain worse?

Also, if youve had this severe pain for a couple of days surely theyll start to calm down abit now?
my friend cant move when she has hers! just lie donw and try to get to sleep for a while and when you wake up have a shower and sit down and watch tv or read a book something to relax you. have a bath instead cos its nicer
Reply 3
I don't know whether itll calm down I havent had really bad pain like this for years. When I was younger I used to get it really bad and the pain could last right up until the end of my period which would on average last 14 days. I was put on a variety of stuff from the doctor none of which worked and then went on the pill at 15. I can't take the pill anymore because I'm allergic but when I came off it it did have the effect of making my periods less painful and shorter. I haven't had one thats started this bad in years and it feels as bad as the ones I used to have. I presume its probably because I'm a bit stressed and I'm feeling a bit under the weather. We had no heating in the house because the boiler broke and its only just been fixed.
Anyway I just want to get rid of the pain so I can revise I can't even sit still at the moment because its so uncomfortable. Its driving me crazy!!
Reply 4
hey paracetamol and ibuprofen can be taken within one hour of eachother, so if take together then it'll probably help ya a bit! or otherwise the strongest painkiller over the counter is dihydracodeine and paracetamol (aka a stronger form of cocodamol) :smile: hope that helps ya!
Reply 5
XlaurenX
hey paracetamol and ibuprofen can be taken within one hour of eachother, so if take together then it'll probably help ya a bit! or otherwise the strongest painkiller over the counter is dihydracodeine and paracetamol (aka a stronger form of cocodamol) :smile: hope that helps ya!

I always take paracetamol and ibruprofen together for periods and as I said it doesn;t help much. Oh well I'm going to head to a different chemist and see if there any more use. Can't be any worse advice than a doctor once gave me which was have a baby and then you won't get as bad period pain. Good practical solution that stupid unsympathetic doctors.
Reply 6
I know you have to revise, but maybe just trying to relax?

I find drinking water helps. I get really bad pains every two or three cycles, so bad I'm throwing up... It isn't nice. But remember it'll only last a few days or so.

Erm, at least you know you're fertile!
Reply 7
my gf faints when shes on her period - well she has done twice cause of the pain but she said its not just the pain she gets anxious too for some reason so she faints :confused:
Aww :frown: Yes, I think stress can definitely make it worse. I only get period pains on the first day of my period but it's absolute hell. I get the worst back ache and can hardly move. I can't be bothered to do anything or talk to anyone. I usually find paracetemol helps a bit, although lying down doesn't because all I can do is think of the pain.

Yours sounds worse though :frown: A nice hot bath sounds like a good idea. Hope you feel better soon.
Reply 9
lessthanthree
I have fainted, thrown up, and been bedridden before. I can safely say I have the worst deal of all my friends.

Meds don't work, so I was prescribed high strength ibuprofen, paracetamol and Mefanemic Acid.

That, and I live with a heatpad stuck to me [wheat bags rock]

Now, I'm on the pill, and only have about 3 periods a year. Mainly because I feel like I'm dying every time.

yea ive heard of girls fainting is it really that bad :redface: is it he actual pain that made you faint or partly hormonal? if ya get me
Reply 10
does neurofen not even work? btw if you are getting really bad pains all the time i recommend going on the pill - makes them PRACTICALLY pain free. :smile:
It is bad sometimes I cant stand sitting through math class. Or wlaking to the bus , I want to sleep all day . I get lower back pains and really bad
head-aches.
:goodnight :puke: :sleep:
Reply 12
I know you said you have to revise, but could you take it easy just for a day or so? I'm sure stressing yourself out by revising and concentrating a lot of the time doesn't help the pain. It's maybe better to try for a while to get better, rather than trying to work through the agony. At least then when you feel better you'll actually be able to work and concentrate properly.
Reply 13
Can't take the pill it gives me high blood pressure, palpatations and really bad cramps. The doctors taken me off three brands because of fears of thrombosis so they've given up on that. I used to take mefenamic acid but after a while that stopped working too.
Yoga used to ease it slightly but not today. i'm not sure whether its really bad or whether its that long since I had a really bad one that I've forgotten how bad the pain is.
Have you tried evening primrose oil?

more of a long term thing than a quick fix but it might be worth a try:smile:
I always used to find swimming helped too...not sure if it's the water or the exercise or the de-stressing effects but if it works who cares why:smile:
Reply 16
Yeah already take it. Evening primrose 1000mg with 120mg GLA and added vitamin E
Reply 17
viviki
Can't take the pill it gives me high blood pressure, palpatations and really bad cramps. The doctors taken me off three brands because of fears of thrombosis so they've given up on that. I used to take mefenamic acid but after a while that stopped working too.
Yoga used to ease it slightly but not today. i'm not sure whether its really bad or whether its that long since I had a really bad one that I've forgotten how bad the pain is.

awwww ok *big hugs* :frown: hope u feel better soon
Reply 18
AI used to get bad pain with my endometriosis and I tried loads of things like suggested above and then i tried reflexology and that worked for me. Now I have 3 reflexology treatments a month and take evening primrose oil and do swimming. It took about 3-6 months to motice how much of a difference it made. For now try a hot bath and curl up in bed with some hot water with lemon in it and put a really hot water bottle on your belly.

Also get feminax as it has an anti-spasmodic as well as paracetamol and codeine and personally think its one of the better painkillers for period pain.

Hope you feel better soon xxx
Reply 19
OOh on the subject of vitamins does anyone know of a brand of multi vitamins that doesn't have 100% or your rda. I'm veggie so I want something that supplements what I already eat not that completely substitutes it.

I was looking at multi vits today in the chemist and they were all 99and 100% rda which is just stupid.
One had 333% rda in it of something what the heck is the point of that.

Latest

Trending

Trending