biology genetic engineering question!

Watch this thread
cheese toes
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
can anyone please help me answer this biology question please? its about genetic engineering-
.Suggest why a gene has to be transferred at the early stages of development

i only need a short answer, thank you!!!
Anonymous_medic
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
This would likely be because at the early stages of development there are fewer cells. As the organism grows to include more and more cells genetically engineering all cells becomes more and more difficult. Moreover (probably the primary reason), genetically engineering at early stages means the organism will express these traits from the beginning, i.e if the gene affects development and you introduce it late in development you might not even observe the outcomes of said genetic change.
Embz1234
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
A big factor in this is to stop mosaicism (where some parts of the organism are genetically different from other parts). This is because development starts from one single cell (the zygote) and then that double, and then those 2 cells double, and the those 4 cells double and so on and so on. So if you introduce a genetic change at the 4 cell stage, then all cells in the organism will come from those cells and have the genetic change. But if you introduce a genetic change when the embryo is made up of thousands of cells, its highly unlikely that all of those cells will take up the vector and express the genetic change. And so in later development, you'll have some cells that have come from the few cells that were genetically altered, and others that have come from the cells that weren't. So you induce a genetic change in the early stages of development to make sure all cells in the organism are expressing the change.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.78%
As I expected (73)
31.2%
Harder (88)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.42%

Watched Threads