Emma_whiteford
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
does anyone have this textbook? or can you give me the answers to 'the debate about the use of recombinant DNA technology'
the questions were;
6. Which one of the following base sequences is most likely to be a recognition sequence of a restriction endonuclease?
a) CCGTAT
GGCATA

b) ATCCGC
TAGGCG

c) GGGTAT
CCCATA

d) GAATTC
CTTAG (1)

7. A transgenic bacterium has
a) Gained one or more genes from another organism
b) Lost one or more genes to another organism
c) Undergone hormonal gene transfer via conjugation
d) Many plasmids (1)

and also

8. A scientist used the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in amplifying DNA. She set up four tubes containing the essential ingredients for the PCR to occur. In addition she added to each tube DNA nucleotides in which the pentose sugar was dideoxyribose, Nucleotides containing this pentose sugar behave in the same way as those in the pentose sugar is deoxyribose, with one important exception. As soon as a nucleotide containing dideoxyribose is inserted into a developing DNA stand, it terminates further replication.
One of her tubes contained dideoxynucleotides carrying the base Adenine (ddNA); the second contained didenucleotides carrying the base cytosine (ddNC): the third contained didenucleotides carrying the base guanine (ddNG): the fourth contained didenucleotides carrying the base thymine (ddNT). She then placed samples from each tube into separate wells in an agarose gel and carried out electrophoresis. This diagram shows her results:

Direction of
electrophoresis

a) Which electrode would she have connected to the gel at the top of the diagram? (1)
b) Explain why the fragments of DNA produced the bands you can see in the diagram (3)
c) From the information in the diagram, this scientist was able to deduce the base sequence of the template DNA replicated by the PCR. Explain how she was able to do this and give the base sequence of the template DNA strand

thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (219)
43.71%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (38)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.16%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.98%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise