Rotations at Vet School

Watch this thread
LittleButterfly8
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

I am in the very fortunate position to choose a vet school with a couple of offers and still waiting to hear back from others. Liverpool is definitely one of my top choices, alongside Nottingham and Glasgow. I was leaning towards Liverpool as it’s closer to home and I liked the city. I know at Liverpool you start rotations in 4th Year and in Notts and Glasgow it’s 5th Year, does this mean you get longer on rotations at Liverpool and then some more experience? I’ve had a look on the websites and at Notts it’s 25 weeks is Liverpool similar and it’s just the broken up by teaching? I feel like I’m a practical learner and would enjoy applying my learning more and it’d be something to look forward to!

Thanks
Last edited by LittleButterfly8; 1 year ago
G_Vet2911
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LittleButterfly8)
Hello,

I am in the very fortunate position to choose a vet school with a couple of offers and still waiting to hear back from others. Liverpool is definitely one of my top choices, alongside Nottingham and Glasgow. I was leaning towards Liverpool as it’s closer to home and I liked the city. I know at Liverpool you start rotations in 4th Year and in Notts and Glasgow it’s 5th Year, does this mean you get longer on rotations at Liverpool and then some more experience? I’ve had a look on the websites and at Notts it’s 25 weeks is Liverpool similar and it’s just the broken up by teaching? I feel like I’m a practical learner and would enjoy applying my learning more and it’d be something to look forward to!

Thanks
Hey congrats on you offer i've put down Liverpool as my firm and although not yet a student, so not fully qualified to answer, i'm basing my reply off of their open days. Liverpool you finish lectures by feb of 4th year and start your 36 weeks of clinical teaching spread equally between farm, equine and small animal (clinics/hospitals), plus 26 weeks of EMS (start in year 3) and 3 week elective block. Notts starts in year 5 instead, doing 25 weeks of clinical rotations plus any remaining EMS. Both Liv and notts are know to be practical including teaching clinical skills from day one. I think with notts you do get more animal handling in the first 2 years (just what i've heard), with Liverpool you do 12 weeks animal handling to cover handling all the species and practice this during 12 weeks of EMS. Both unis are great tho and i'm sure both produce equally good vets. I chose Liv over Notts based on wanting to have the city experience (notts campus is away from the city campus) and Liv nightlife being so good. Hope this helps
Last edited by G_Vet2911; 1 year ago
vetstudent123
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
At Liverpool you finish lectures around halfway through 4th year - the current 4th years had their last lectures today. Liverpool's rotations are 36 weeks and split into 6 blocks of 6 weeks each. At the end of most blocks you have a few weeks or so to do some EMS/repeat rotations or have a short holiday. The 6 blocks are split equally between smallies, farm and equine. Throughout each species block you rotate through different sectors, for example: anaesthesia, ortho, herd health etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
30.43%
Take a gap year (11)
23.91%
Resit my exams (8)
17.39%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.04%
I don't know yet (4)
8.7%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.52%

Watched Threads